epilogue

Word Count - 2,080 words

Elizabeth reached her hand out to the rain, catching the raindrops with her palm.

She kept a neutral face, despite liking the cold feeling of the rainwater on her hand.

Her blue-eyes stared up at the night sky, it's dark and it's pouring. The rain isn't that heavy, but it's enough to soak the surroundings.

It's already twelfth in the midnight, she was going for a night stroll when the rain suddenly poured, and kept her stuck waiting inside the Lotus pavilion.

"Your majesty..."

The empress was taken aback upon hearing a familiar voice behind her.

She looked back, only to be surprised, seeing her husband. The emperor consort.

His majesty, Yuuta, who came from the Empire of Hizuru and the youngest child of the previous Hizuru emperor.

"Lord Yuuta." Elizabeth raised a brow at her husband. Her husband held her right hand, then kissed the back of it.

She scoffed and brought her hand back to herself, feeling awkward by the silence, and by how deep her husband was staring at her.

"What brings you here? It's not good for you to be outside tonight, it's raining."

The empress looked behind her husband.

She raised a brow after seeing that her husband doesn't have his knight or any of his servants.

"And why are you alone, you know you can't-"

Elizabeth was taken aback when her husband smiled at her, she went silent while she stared at her husband.

He shouldn't be smiling...what's gotten into him?

"You sound just like a wife, your majesty."

The empress felt genuinely confused. She doesn't get what her husband is trying to say. "Pardon? But I am your wife, Lord Yuuta." Elizabeth said, her tone was laced with confusion, but she still sounded polite.

She has to be polite. It's her husband who she's talking to. Even if she is the ruler of the Eldian empire, she still has to be respectful towards her lawful husband.

"You are...but you only act as an empress."

Elizabeth wasn't able to say anything.

She only stared at her husband, and for a moment, she was lost in his steel-like gray eyes.

Her calm heart suddenly skipped a beat while she stared at her husband's gorgeous face.

Yuuta is tall and has a good physique. His raven-hair is neatly cut into an undercut with a proper curtain bangs in his forehead.

His eyes are narrow, nose is pointy and his lips are thin. His has tan skin which is rare for people in the empire of Hizuru.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to offend you or what. What I'm trying to say is that...you're more of an empress to me, than my wife. Hearing you nag me...feels so different from how you only talk to me about political affairs."

Her husband stood beside her, he kept his hands behind him as he stared up at the dark, and night sky with pouring rain.

She immediately looked away when her husband looked at her. Somehow, she feels nervous.

"We've been married for how many years already, empress?"

Elizabeth cleared her throat, she's doing her best not to show any change in her stoic expression.