part xxviii

Word Count - 3,375 words

- A few months ago -

"Mrs. Finger, amber, rubies and emeralds are rare in Eldia, am I right?" Y/n asked.

She kept her eyes at the flowers she was arranging for the emperor. Mrs. Finger is beside her, also arranging some flowers.

The teacher was actually the one who taught her. It's part of her lessons to learn how to arrange flowers as a woman.

"Yes, my lady."

Mrs. Finger nodded.

"Though we also produce some in the past, my lady. But only a few can obtain it like the  imperial family. When Emperor Smith ascended to the throne, treasures such as ambers, rubies and emeralds weren't available in the empire because of the previous Emperor gifting it to his ladies."

Y/n raised a brow, she looked outside through the glass window. The glass window barely reflected her image.

But the amber necklace she's wearing can be clearly seen, as well as her amber earrings, ring, and bracelet. She wore one of Duke Reiss' birthday gift to her today.

"I heard that only the Sultanate of Hasan has the most production of such treasures."

"Even now, does our empire still not produce such gems?" Y/n curiously asked.

"Yes, my lady."

Then did Duke Reiss get these gems from the Sultanate of Hasan? But how? Eldia and the empires and kingdoms in the middle east have always been at odds...Y/n thought.

She looked at Mrs. Finger who was also staring at her. No, not at her. But at the amber necklace she's wearing. "I believe you have something you want to know, my lady." The black-haired woman said.

"I need to have a meeting with Lady Dina."

--

The next day after that, Y/n left the imperial palace with Mrs. Finger to go to the academy where Lady Dina teaches.

"Pardon, my lady? You want me to check if Duke Reiss has connections with the sultanate of Hasan?" Dina asked.

The blond woman looks so shocked. After all, it's an odd request coming from Y/n.

"Yes. Duke Reiss has gifted me jewelries."

Y/n looked at Mrs. Finger, the woman showed Dina the jewelries Y/n received from Duke Reiss. Dina was taken aback, seeing the gems. "My lady, these gems..."

The h/c-haired lady nodded. "Exactly. That is why I want you to check if Duke Reiss has connections with the sultanate of Hasan."

Dina gulped as she stared at Y/n.

She could feel it.

Y/n wants to know something, and that the h/c-haired lady could possibly have a plan in mind. And Dina is worried that if Duke Rod Reiss turns out to be a bad guy, then their family would also be dragged into whatever crime Dule Reiss had committed.

"Don't worry. If I proved him to be a traitor, he will be ousted from his position, even his family and relatives. But I won't include you and Zeke." Dina's eyes widened.

The h/c-haired lady smiled at her.

Though it wasn't genuine.

There was a motive behind her smile.

Dina then realized. No one should dare to make Y/n their enemy. She isn't just a young lady whom the emperor will marry.

"Duchess Fritz." Y/n stood up from her seat.