part xxx

Word Count - 2,821 words

A creaking sound echoed all over the spacious and empty library inside the empress' palace. The emperor walked in, he closed the door behind him, but not completely, and left a small space open.

Erwin's eyes immediately landed on the portrait of his late wife. Again, the pain he felt when he lost her came back as if it was just yesterday. No. The pain never left him.

The emperor walked towards the center.

He stood across Marie's portrait, and stared at it with longing in his blue eyes. "Marie..."

Erwin clenched his fist.

The reason he came here tonight, was to apologize, and to confess what he thinks is his sin, and to let go of his regrets and guilt.

"Marie...tomorrow..."

The blond man shut his eyes.

Silence reigned for him, and his surroundings.

"...I'll be marrying Lady Y/n."

He looked at his late wife, his eyes became glossy as soon he felt the guilt eating him up. "Marie...I'm breaking my vow to you."

Erwin vowed to Marie, that he will never look at another woman, he will never marry another woman, and that she will be forever his love, even if one of them has to leave first. He vowed to be forever hers.

But he's breaking his vow.

This is the guilt he's been carrying ever since he laid his eyes on Y/n, he knew that he already broke it. "Marie...my love..."

Erwin dropped to his knees. He kept his head down, tears began to escape his eyes.

"...I am sorry...for marrying another woman..."

The blond clenched his fists so tightly that his knuckles had already turned white.

"...and for falling in love with another woman."

He's fallen in love with Y/n, and that's what he's sorry for, because he felt unfaithful towards Marie, he felt disappointed at himself for breaking his vows and he feels hurt for having to feel sorry while he's fallen in love with a young, and kind lady.

"I tried to stop myself...but I couldn't."

The blond man looked up at Marie, he stared at her smiling face. Even when he's just staring at a portrait, he still thinks he's alive, smiling ever so kindly at him.

"Lady Y/n...is someone whom no one cannot love."

Erwin closed his eyes. He placed a hand on his chest, where his heart is. And that heart of his that's already beating for someone else.

For Y/n.

"My heart is beating for her. I care for her."

This is the emperor's confession, though this confession is for someone else, Erwin chose to confess to his wife first. Because he doesn't want to hurt her for going ahead.

He's asking for forgiveness.

For Marie's understanding.

"Marie...I have feelings for Lady Y/n."

He doesn't know when it started, but Erwin knew even before that he found Y/n interesting. He thought she was just someone he can trust, someone who can help him when it comes to formality.

He thought she was just his empress-to-be, not someone he can fall in love with.

But Erwin thought wrong.