part xxxvi

Word Count - 2,630 words

An awkward silence reigned between Erwin and Y/n, the two of them are sitting down on a sofa. They're inside the office of the imperial astrology office, waiting for the head imperial astronomer and the results of how their compatibility is for this month.

The emperor side-eyed the empress.

His brows shot-up when he noticed the
h/c-haired woman dozing off. Wasn't she able to sleep well last night? He thought.

Erwin carefully scooted closer to Y/n.

And just as the empress was about to fall, he got to her side and caught her head with his hand, causing Y/n to immediately wake up. She looked at him with round eyes.

The h/c-haired woman sat up straight, faking a cough. "I apologize, your majesty. It seems I was dozing off..." Y/n said as she quickly looked away from embarrassment.

Erwin suppresses a wide smile from flashing out of his lips. "It's just fine."

Y/n side-eyed the emperor, she paused for a moment when their gazes met one another.

The awkward silence left, and was replaced by that very familiar tension.

"I'm sorry..." Erwin spoke. He let out a sigh. "For making you stay that day, things have now led to this..." The blond man mumbled.

Y/n shook her head, she strayed her eyes away from Erwin, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. "I'm certain that even if that matter wasn't brought up that day, we will still find ourselves in this situation."

"...are you okay with this, empress?"

The h/c-haired woman looked at the emperor, her eyes stared deeply into the blond-man's blue ones, making Erwin feel  a skip in his usually calm heart beat.

"Yes...after all...it is my duty."

Erwin's brows furrowed, he clenched his fist. To think that Y/n is willing to have a child with him because it's part of her duty as an empress. Deep inside him, wishes that Y/n would treat it as something special.

Having a child should be out of love.

"...I'm more worried about you, your majesty." Y/n spoke, making the emperor look at her. She kept her eyes staring at nowhere, a dull look plastered on her face.

"Are you okay with doing something so intimate with another woman?" Y/n asked.

Erwin wasn't able to answer, he kept his stare on Y/n. "I'm sure...you would only say yes because you have to. But I don't want that. I don't want you to force yourself into something you don't want to do. Never..."

The emperor was stunned, as Y/n looked at him with a soft gaze. "Marriage, having children...building a family...should be because you want it, not because you need it. Aren't I, right, your majesty?"

"Yes..."

Y/n smiled a bit, she didn't speak anymore since the imperial astronomer had finally arrived.

While the imperial astronomer talks, neither of the two were listening. The only thing they understood was that the best day for them to spend the night together would be on the last day of the month, when the full moon rises to the dark night sky.

"Good night, your majesty."

"Good night, empress."

Erwin stared as Y/n left, he stared at her back, watching her walking away.

I wonder...would the day come when you stop acting so cold?

--

Days passed, and weeks...until the last day of the month had arrived.