part xxxiii

Word Count - 2,995 words

A knock on the door interrupted Zeke from his study. He didn't ask anymore who could be outside, he already knows. "...come in."

The door opened, and his father walked in.

Dr. Grisha closed the door behind him.

Zeke went back to reading his book, but was once again interrupted when his dad spoke. "Your meeting with the empress alone was not good, Zeke. What if other people saw the two of you alone together?"

The blond man let out a sigh.

"There's nothing wrong with our meet-up. The empress and I are just close friends."

"People won't think that way."

Zeke looked at his father, he kept a serious face, but there was a hint of sarcasm in his eyes. "Since when did I care about other people's opinions, father?" Grisha stayed silent, staring disapprovingly at his eldest.

"Don't be stubborn, Zeke. You'll just put yourself into trouble, as well as her majesty. You can't be that close to the emperor's wife. And..." Grisha shook her head. "You can't continue loving the emperor's wife."

The blond man went silent.

His father knew about his feelings for Y/n, when Grisha discovered his unsent poems to Y/n.

Six years ago, when he turned 18, he moved in with his father so that he could study under his father's knowledge.

Dina was okay with his decision.

And Grisha was happy with it.

Though Zeke wanted it, he also didn't.

He just wanted to learn, and finish his studies so he could become a physician.

A royal physician.

"You're quite funny, father."

Grisha's brows furrowed. "What?"

"You should've said those things to yourself. You can't continue loving your maid because you have a wife and a family."

Zeke smiled bitterly, shaking his head.

"You shouldn't have been stubborn, because you'll put yourself in trouble, and even your family. You shouldn't have let yourself become close to that female servant, because you were in love with my mother, and you both have a son."

Grisha wasn't able to say anything back.

He locked his jaw, and clenched his fists.

"Zeke...your love for the empress is forbidden."

"So was your love for Eren's mother."

--

Eren, Armin, Jean, Reiner, Bertolt and Marcel stared quietly at one another.

They're inside the empress' office, waiting for the empress to arrive.

"You look nervous, Eren." Reiner smirked.

The green-eyed boy hissed. "I'm not."

"There's no need to pretend, Eren. I'm nervous, too." Armin whispered.

Marcel chuckled, finding it funny for Eren, Armin and Jean to be nervous about meeting the empress up close.

"The empress is a very kind woman, you three shouldn't feel nervous about meeting her. Right, Reiner? Right, Bertolt?" Marcel said.

Reiner and Bertolt nodded in agreement.

"Still...she's the empress...it's nerve wracking to meet someone who's high in position." Jean said.