part xxxv

Word Count - 2,495 words

Zeke looked at his mother with worry and concern, noticing that Dina has been quiet ever since they started eating their dinner.

Today is the weekend, and Zeke came home to his mother. "Mom, are you feeling okay?"

Dina looked at him, she forced a smile while nodding. "Yes, I'm just thinking of something." The blond woman answered.

"Thinking of what?" Zeke asked.

His mother went silent. Dina looked away, brows furrowing. She looks so hesitant to speak, as if she is scared with her thoughts.

"Ma...you can tell me anything."

Dina looked at his son again, her heart clenched tight the moment she saw the soft gaze of his son. She has always been soft for Zeke. Of course, he is her son.

But other than that, Zeke was the one who kept her sanity together even if Grisha abandoned her for another woman.

"Zeke...can you be honest with me?"

The blond man didn't answer as he was confused with what his mother just said.

"...do you...have feelings for the empress?"

Dina doesn't know, but now she does.

All because Grisha talked to her about it, and asked for help to knock some sense into their son. "Your father talked to me yesterday. He said that you have feelings for the empress...is what he said true?"

Zeke gulped as he looked away, he gripped tightly on his fork and knife.

"So father finally approached you, huh? After all those years of ignoring you. He had the audacity to talk to you about my issue, when he can't even talk about his."

Dina let out a sigh. "Zeke...don't talk like that. He's still your father."

"Yeah. Unfortunately."

Dina only stared at his son, she can't really blame him if Zeke hates Grisha. After all, her ex-husband abandoned them.

"You haven't answered me yet, Zeke..."

Zeke paused from his meal, he put down his knife and fork, and picked up his glass of wine. "Ma...let's not talk about it please."

"Do you care for the empress?"

The blond man shut his eyes. Grisha...that damned man really has a big mouth. "Ma..."

"Answer me, Zeke. Do you care for the-"

"I CARE FOR HER! DAY AND NIGHT! I DO! BUT THAT EMPEROR ONLY HURTS HER!"

Dina was in shock, as his son raised his voice to her. But instead of getting angry, she felt her heart break. Because Zeke's words were exactly what Grisha said to her.

"I care for Carla! Day and night! I do! But you hurt her!"

Tears glossed her eyes, but that didn't stop her from noticing the tears that made Zeke's eyes glossy.

Dina knows she has to really wake her son up, because if she lets him continue, not only Zeke will get in trouble but a lot of people.

It's a crime to desire the emperor's woman.

The blond woman stood up, she clenched her jaw. Silence reigned between her and Zeke, and in just a second the sound of her slap on Zeke's face echoed all over the dining room.

Zeke was shocked himself, he stared at nowhere. His mother never raised her hands on him before.

"SHE IS THE EMPEROR'S WIFE, ZEKE! SHE IS THE EMPRESS OF THIS EMPIRE! YOU CANNOT CARE FOR A WOMAN LIKE HER!"