part xxxix

Word Count - 3,412 words

"Your highness, you don't need to be scared. Her royal majesty is not mad towards you."

Lady Finger crouched in front of Princess Eleanor. The young princess looked at her with a worried expression. She flashed the young girl a smile to reassure the princess.

"B-but...I became rude to her...she might hate me already...I said hurtful words and even shouted at her...I'm scared...nngh..."

Eleanor began to cry, making Lady Finger to sigh. The black-haired woman took out a handkerchief from her dress's pocket, then carefully wiped Princess Eleanor's tears.

"Her majesty might not be your real mother, your highness. But she is taking care of you and the crown prince because you both are important to her, and it is her duty as an empress and wife of his majesty. She's caring for you, and the crown prince not because she wants to replace your mother, but because you are important to her, as well as his majesty to the empress."

The young princess looked at Lady Finger, still crying as she was feeling even more guilty. Her father scolded her, and also made her understand why the empress is treating her and her twin brother so kindly.

Her father explained to her why the empress needs to do the things she does, and that she doesn't need to mind the rumors going around the palace because a royal does not stoop to any low level.

She should be smarter than anyone.

Eleanor was able to understand her father.

She was enlightened.

And now she's standing in front of the Empress Y/n's office to ask for forgiveness for how she acted and for all the hurtful words she had said to their step-mother.

"Now, go on, your highness... Her royal majesty will surely be happy to talk to you."

Eleanor let out a sigh.

She clenched her little fists as she nodded.

The young princess looked back at her nanny who was holding the bouquet of flowers she picked out herself in the palace's garden, and she was also the one who arranged it.

Her nanny gave the bouquet of flowers to her. It's her apology gift to the empress.

Lady Finger knocked on the door for the princess.

"Your majesty, Princess Eleanor wishes to seek an audience with you."

A few seconds passed, and the door was opened by the empress herself.

Y/n stared at Princess Eleanor with an evidently shocked look on her face.

"Your highness-"

The empress was taken aback when Eleanor handed the bouquet of flowers to her, looking up at her with teary eyes.

"Nngh...I-I'm s-sorry, your majesty..."

Eleanor began to cry again, making Lady Finger and the other servants present round to smile because of how adorable she is while crying.

Y/n, on the other hand, felt the need for panic. She immediately crouched in front of the young princess, and held her face.

The empress smiled a bit as she gently wiped the tears on Eleanor's eyes and cheeks. "It's fine, your highness. I'm not mad nor was I disappointed. I understand why you said those things, and why you acted like that. It's okay, you had the right to  say those things, and act like that. Because your feelings were hurt. It's okay now."

Eleanor teared up even more. She knows the empress is a kind woman. And that makes her feel even more bad. Because the empress remained kind despite how she acted towards her.