part xxxviii

Word Count - 2,592 words

"Have you heard? The empress and emperor finally slept together last night! I'm sure after this month passes, the empress will announce her pregnancy in just any day!!"

Eleanor who was just busy playing her dollhouse paused for a moment as she heard her maids gossiping from behind.

Though she kept her eyes on her toys.

But focused her hearing on her gossiping maids. Father and her majesty slept together last night? Will they have a baby?

"If the empress gives birth to a son...what will happen to the crown prince?"

"Have you forgotten? The emperor made a royal decree six years ago that even if the empress conceives a son, crown prince Evan will remain as the heir to the throne."

"But what if the empress changes her mind? I know she's close with the crown prince, and is okay with it. But...what if she..."

"Yeah...after all, she is the empress. If she wishes for more power, she should put her future son on the throne."

Eleanor's eyes widened, the worry and concern for her twin brother was quick to cover her thinking. If father and her majesty ends up having a son...then what will happen to my twin brother? To me...

Will her majesty won't like us anymore?

Will father forget us?

"The emperor must've already forgotten about the previous empress, that's why he already spent the night with her majesty-"

The gossiping maids suddenly stopped talking when the door opened.

Their eyes widened as the empress and young crown prince walked in.

Y/n looked at them with one brow raised.

"Get out."

"Y-your majesty...!!!"

"Don't make me repeat myself."

The maids rushed outside. Lady Finger followed them outside as well as the head nanny of Princess Eleanor.

Y/n looked at Eleanor who was staring blankly at nowhere. "Your highness."

Eleanor looked at her with teary eyes, though she also looked furious.

"I heard from Lady Jill that you didn't want to take your lessons today. May I know why?"

The princess didn't answer, instead she clenched her fist and glared at Y/n.

Has father...already forgotten about mother? Because of her majesty...?

"Your highness, you promised me and the emperor that you would start studying properly if we let you take in a puppy-"

"I don't want..."

Evan was taken aback upon hearing his twin-sister's response.

He knows his twin-sister could be stubborn, but Eleanor does not respond so rudely even when she does not want to do something that wass for her to do

The young crown prince looked at the empress with a bit of fear, anxious if her majesty got mad because of Eleanor.

But to his surprise, Y/n looks normal.

"Princess Eleanor, your lessons are very important. I know that you know you shouldn't skip them. We give you enough time to play, rest and do whatever you want. But there is a limit to that. You also have to do your duties as a young royal."