part xvii

Word Count - 1,920 words

(Empire of Eldia, Paradis Island)

"EREN!!"

An eight year-old blond boy smiled widely upon seeing his only friend, Eren Jaeger, the youngest son of Dr. Grisha Jaeger.

Dr. Grisha Jaeger is the royal physician of the Eldian imperial family.

Eren looked back at Armin, he flashed his best friend a small smile and waved at him.

Armin, on the other hand, runs towards Eren, carrying a book he keeps close to his chest. His arms are tightly wrapped around his book, as if anytime it will be taken away from him. "Eren, look! My grandfather gave me a book about the Kingdom of Marley...!"

The blond boy's friend was shocked, in disbelief even. Eren stared at the book that Armin's showing to him. "You heard about the news of the emperor getting married to someone from the Marleyan royal family, right? When I heard about it from grandpa, he gave me this book, he said that I should study it and become a good scholar for the soon-to-be Empress." Armin smiled widely.

"You want to serve the Empress-to-be?" Eren asked, his tone evident with curiosity.

Armin nodded his head, enthusiatically.

"Yeah!"

The blond boy sat beside the green-eyed boy, never minding that they were sitting down on the grassy ground that could be dirty. He opened his book, reading through its content about the Marleyan kingdom.

"There are already lots of rumors going around the imperial palace that the soon-to-empress is someone the Marleyan royal family despises because she is not a good person. Eren, do you know that a person who has rumors going around them, are the kindest ones?" Armin looked at Eren, who only stared at him curiously.

Armin smiled sheepishly at Eren.

"Just like you, Eren. I've heard about you from the other kids that you're a spoiled kid, but when I got to know you, I learned that you aren't one. There are a lot of kids who say you're arrogant because you're the son of Dr. Yeager, but you aren't one. There were a lot of bad rumors about you, but when we became friends, I've known you as someone who is very kind-hearted...!!"

Eren's eyes widened a bit, he frowned as soon as he felt the warmth on his cheeks.

"Tsk...why are you getting all sweet?"

The blond boy only chuckled as a response.

"Where's Mikasa?" Armin asked.

"She had to go home early today."

Armin nodded, he placed his book on his side, then looked up at the clear skies. It's already afternoon, the hour of sixteenth.

"So why do you wish to serve the soon-to-be empress? Aren't you scared that she might actually be a bad woman and bully you? She might even betray our empire, and-"

Eren wasn't able to continue what he was saying when Armin immediately covered his mouth. "Mmff!!" Eren frowned again.

Armin placed a finger over his lips, warning the green-eyed boy to shush.

"Eren! You can't say things like that! What if someone hears you and reports you to the imperial guard?! You and your family will be in trouble for slandering a royal figure!"

The green-eyed boy rolled his eyes, he removed Armin's hand over his mouth.

"I bet the imperial guards won't even care. You said it yourself, there are already rumors going around the imperial palace. They should've let those die down by now before the people get a sniff on it. But it reached kids like us already, it's obvious they aren't doing anything to protect the image of the soon-to-be empress of Eldia."