Preparation for Sam's date

"Were we recognized today?" Steve asked as the five of you sat down with your crepes at one of the picnic tables again. He looked at Loki who gave a slight shrug.
"Most of us were recognized as Avengers or associates of the Avengers, but there was nothing Hydra related, if that is what you are asking" Loki said carefully. "There were a lot of voices and people, and it was hard to focus on all of them. I did what I could"
"There wasn't anyone following us at least. I was keeping an eye out for that" Bucky added softly.
"So were Steve and I," Sam quickly admitted.
"That's a good thing right?" you asked, taking a bite of your crepe.
"It means they are still licking their wounds, but we don't know what will happen once they are done" Loki didn't lie to you. You knew very well there could still be danger, and it made you feel sick to your stomach at the thought of it. Your anxiety pulsed and the blue electricity started to encircle your hands. Bucky reached out and put a hand on your thigh before leaning over and giving you a lingering kiss on the cheek. When it didn't immediately go away, he pushed his plate forward slightly and turned, straddling the bench and he pulled on you, effectively sliding you across the bench until you were between his legs and he wrapped his arms around you. You leaned into him and tried to take slow and deep breaths. The blue electricity took a few moments to die down, and Bucky just peppered the top of your head with kisses trying to keep you as calm as possible.
"We are going to protect you, doll," he promised softly. "I'm going to protect you," he added with conviction.
"There's no reason to be worried at the moment" Loki added in a soft whisper once you started calming down. Bucky reached for your fork and took a generous cut of your crepe and brought it up to your lips. You timidly took a bite and his face broke out into a huge smile. You slowly chewed on your food, and he went back to his own crepe and took a few large bites while you were still chewing. You took your fork back and started eating slowly. Bucky was done before everyone at the table, and wrapped his arms around you again while you ate. You tried to feed him another bite of your own crepe but he shook his head. Once you were done, Loki got up and grabbed everyone's plates, knives and forks and brought them to the garbage. You quickly went to follow her back to the SUV, with Bucky's hand in the small of your back. Loki stopped close to the waffle truck and waved to Jack before the five of you piled into the SUV with Steve driving back.

Getting back to the compound, Bucky grabbed all of your stuff from the back of the SUV and carried it for you back up to your shared room. He took the time to cut the tips off of the stems of the roses and put them into water in a fresh vase. You put your books away, grabbed a fresh novel to read, and went to sit on the couch. Bucky quickly came over and picked you up, wrapping his arms around you and setting you down on his lap. You gave a soft giggle and snuggled into him, putting your head into the crook of his neck and sitting sideways on his lap.
"What are we reading?" he asked softly.
"We are reading a new romance novel about a wizard falling in love with a common girl" you giggled and opened up to the first page.
"You always seem to find interesting ones" he hummed and started reading over your shoulder. "I've got to admit, they've always got some great ideas"
"The spicy scenes?" you rolled your eyes.
"And the romantic scenes," he chuckled good naturedly. "Makes me think of more things I can do with you in the future" he gave the side of your cheek a scratchy kiss. "I need to shave," he mused.
"Not at all, I like the scruff" you leaned up and kissed him on the cheek in retaliation.
"You like the scuff?" he gave his flirty smile.
"It just adds to the entire package" you gave him another loud kiss on the cheek and he chuckled.
"Alright, I won't shave," he grinned to himself, pulling you in more. You both started reading, and really got into the first chapter when there was a hesitant knock on the door and Bucky's head whipped up and looked over before the door handle jingled slightly before someone paused and then pushed the door open.
"Oh, thank God. I was worried you two would be getting freaky again" Sam stood at the doorway, and made his way in.
"Just reading" you gave a broad smile, putting your book down.
"What's up?" Bucky asked him quickly as he came in and he sat down on the chair looking at you both curiously.
"I'm just nervous about my date" Sam admitted with a slight smile toying at his lips.
"Just be yourself," you rolled your eyes. "You two have been going on quite a few dates, you'll be fine"
"I'm going to ask her to be exclusive tonight," Sam admitted. "I feel like I should be doing more to get ready"
"Did you buy her some flowers?" Bucky asked quickly.
"I didn't think of it" Sam bit at his bottom lip.
"Did you get her some chocolates?" Bucky asked as a quick follow up.
"No... I just..." Sam trailed off and Bucky tapped the side of your leg. You slipped off of his lap and he stood up and reached for his wallet.
"Let's go," Bucky nodded to him.
"Go where?" Sam looked confused.
"Back to the farmer's market, you need to get ready for your date and they have everything you need there" Bucky gestured to the door. "I love you, doll, I'll be home as soon as we get this punk sorted out" he kissed your cheek.
"Are you sure about this tinman?" Sam seemed surprised.
"Yeah, we won't be long. Besides, I get to come home and snuggle with my dame," he shrugged.
"Thanks man, I need all the help I can get" Sam stood up and ruffled your hair on his way by. Bucky opened the door and led Sam out while you laid back on the couch. Aurora and Alpine came to you and laid across your stomach and ribs.

"What are you looking for in return for this?" Sam asked as the two of them got into one of Tony's SUV's, with Bucky driving.
"I'm not looking for anything. You are my friend, even though I give you a hard time. I want to make sure you're happy" Bucky shrugged. "Bird brain" he added as an afterthought.
"That and I'm the man your girl runs to when you two start fighting again" Sam buckled himself in.
"That may be true, but I still want to help you out," Bucky admitted. "I don't plan on fighting with her ever again, that was too long of a separation," he gave a slight sigh.
"It was a pretty big fight" Sam looked at him appraisingly. "She cried a lot, I'm not sure I'm done being mad at you for it"
"She did?" Bucky looked pained by that bit of information. "Fuck" he sighed heavily as he put the car into gear. "I don't want to ever be the reason that she cries," he started driving back to the farmer's market.
"She just wanted you to understand that this is what she chooses to do, and stand beside her" Sam finally broke his silence after a few minutes.
"I'm with her till the end of the line" Bucky vowed. "I want to marry her"
"Hey now, that's a bit quick," Sam rolled his eyes.
"When you know she's the one, it's an easy decision" Bucky shrugged as he bobbed and weaved through traffic. "I'll need your help, I'm planning on asking her again"
"Again?" Sam looked at him in surprise.
"I might have asked in the heat of the moment" Bucky had the good sense to flush a bit.
"That is not a good idea" Sam chuckled, relaxing back in his seat. "What did she say?"
"She shot me down pretty quick," Bucky frowned. "But it was right after our fight, so I know I need to wait and bide my time for the next proposal"

"What are you going to do for your two month anniversary?" Sam asked after a small silence.
"I'm taking her out on the ATV for a drive up to our spot, bringing a picnic. I'm going to make it so that it's more special" he responded, seeming so sure of himself.
"She'll like that" Sam seemed happy with that response, and looked forward. Bucky turned on the radio, and grinned when he heard one of your favorite love songs playing, and he softly began singing with it under his breath. "You are so whipped," Sam chuckled.
"Happily" Bucky grinned, not even arguing it. They drove in silence, with Bucky singing softly to the music on the radio seeming to be at peace for the moment. He parked in front of the farmer's market and the two men got out quickly. Bucky led him to where he had seen a vendor making homemade chocolates. He was quick to buy two boxes, and handed one to Sam.
"Two?" Sam asked, a little confused.
"Y/N needs some chocolates" Bucky shrugged and started leading him back through the winding pathways towards the flower vendor at the end by the back door again.
"She does love how much you dote on her" Sam finally admitted as they got closer to the flower vendor.
"Good, I don't plan on stopping," Bucky shrugged. "Here we are" he stopped at the flower vendor who smiled at Bucky. He looked through everything they had left over and quickly grabbed a dozen red roses and handed them to Sam. Sam paid this time and held them in his hands, a little shakily.
"Do you think she will like these ones?" he asked hesitantly.
"Y/N loves them, I don't see why not" Bucky shrugged. "Come on, let's get home before supper, or else you'll be late for your date"