you're me

warnings: mentions of death

age: 17

reader isn't wanda's daughter, but somehow (i'm not coming up with a backstory) has the same powers

-

Y/N's POV

"Tony... we're gonna need the fire brigade and a couple EMT's over here," I hear Steve report over the comms.

My first real mission, and I screwed it up by sending dozens of people plummeting into the ground after knocking down their homes.

The enemy ship was in my control. It was my job and my responsibility to drive it away with my magic. And instead, I've killed families upon families. I'm a monster.

Next thing I know, there's a super solider standing next to me.

"Steve, I am so, so sorry, I just lost control and-"

"Save it, Y/N," he cuts me off, taking another look at the damage before walking off again.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this life.

-

WANDA's POV

The team arrived back from a mission about an hour ago now. I've been waiting to hear how it went but so far, no one's said a word.

I sat this one out since they wanted to bring Y/N along for her first ever mission and essentially wanted to see if she could 'replace' me for the days that I just want to spend time with my family instead of work.

Me and her aren't that close, but I've always felt connected to her in some way, probably because of our powers being the same and whatnot.

"Hey," I greet all of my friends as I walk into the kitchen. Everyone's having their post-mission snacks. "Anyone know where Y/N is? I haven't seen her since before the mission."

They all share a look with each other, clearly hiding something.

"Um," Tony speaks up, "Rogers kind of... confined her to her room."

My brows furrow in confusion and my heart rate picks up a tad. "Why?"

As they explain the situation, my blood starts to boil. They're blaming a seventeen year old for making a mistake. I made tons of them when I was her age!

Once I've flipped off the appropriate people, I start making my way to Y/N's bedroom with some water and snacks. I imagine she's just as hungry as everyone else.

When I reach her door, I only knock once as a warning before walking in anyway. Only to be met with her struggling to get out of her suit and crying tears of frustration.

I place the food and water down on her desk and shut the door so I can help her get undressed. The more I try to help, the more she starts struggling to get it off.

"Calm down, hon. Stop moving about and I'll have this off in a jiffy," I tell her, causing her to stop wriggling and to just stand still, the tears falling very freely.

Within a minute, I have her suit off and she puts only a baggy tee on before flopping onto her bed and continuing to cry into her pillow.

I'm glad that she at least feels comfortable enough around me to not hide her emotions. God knows when I was her age, I wouldn't let anyone see me cry.

"Y/N, please don't blame yourself," I coo, sitting down beside her and lifting her to sit on my lap, where she resumes her sobs and holds onto me tightly.

"I killed people, Wanda!" she wails, her body starting to shake from the force of emotion. "Innocent people!"

"Shhh, sweetheart, it's okay. It was a complete accident, you just lost control of your magic. I've done it, too."

It doesn't matter how long I spend reassuring her, she can't help but blame herself. It hurts because I can literally feel her feelings, like I could with Pietro.

Y/N reminds me so much of myself at her age. Being confined to the compound after having destroyed an entire building full of people.

"You're just a child. You didn't mean to," I whisper, keeping her close as if I'm trying to protect her. "You didn't mean to. I know that you didn't, because you're me when I was in this exact situation. Okay? Say it with me, Y/N. Say that you didn't mean to."

After some more calming down time, she lifts her head up from my chest and looks me in the eye.

And then, somehow in complete unison, we say the words.

"I didn't mean to."

She immediately breaks back down and tucks herself away safely in the crook of my neck. I don't care that I don't know her that well, I just want her to have a safe person. Someone who really understands what she's going through.