it wasn't just a dream

warnings: mentions of nightmares and death, gun mentions

age: 16

this is a heavy one, take care<3

not wanda's daughter

-

WANDA's POV

It's been a week since we rescued Y/N from a Hydra base. The poor girl is so shy, and hardly ever comes near anyone.

Except for me. For some reason, she sought comfort in me from the moment I first picked her up to get her out of there.

Ever since, she won't leave my side. I have to go with her everywhere, which I don't mind. I just want her to feel comfortable.

Like any other night, she fell asleep on me at around eleven p.m. But unlike other nights, she wakes me up two hours later by muttering random things to herself.

I had a feeling that the nightmares would come soon enough, having been through the whole Hydra experience myself.

But this one seems violent.

"Please... stop. No, I don't like it. Don't do it! Not in front of me, please," she sobs painfully, and I quickly attempt to soothe her awake.

"Y/N, honey, it's okay," I whisper just loud enough that she would be able to hear me. "Sweetheart, hey. It's Wanda, you're okay."

She starts thrashing around in my bed, releasing a new gut-wrenching cry every few seconds.

But finally, she startles herself awake and begins to pant heavily to catch her breath.

"Woah, it's okay, it's okay. You're safe, my love. It was just a dream," I say softly, she shakes her head and her bottom lips starts trembling.

"It wasn't just a dream. It really happened," she sobs, crashing her head against my chest. I take the opportunity to wrap my arms around her and lay down again with her safe against me.

She hasn't managed to open up an awful lot to me, she's just been extremely clingy. She's probably terrified that she'll somehow end up back there again.

"What happened, angel girl? You can tell me."

Looking up at me with tired eyes, the teen nods slowly.

"She did it," she mutters, letting two new tears fall simultaneously. One from each eye. "She said she wouldn't and she did."

Y/N's POV

I start to feel an aching pain in my chest as I think about what I had to endure only a mere few weeks ago.

I've never even considered telling this to anyone, but Wanda's different. She's safe.

"M-my... my Valera," I whisper, feeling my heart hurt.

Wanda gives me a gentle nudge as if to encourage me to keep going.

"She was my age," I continue my story, "She was also an volunteer. But um... we didn't know how bad it would be there. One day we decided... to put ourselves out of the misery. We took one of the guards' guns."

I can't help but pause as I think about the most painful thing that's ever happened in my life.

"We were each gonna shoot ourselves. But there was only one bullet."

Clearly I've upset Wanda big time by the way she's also started sniffling. She's become like a mother to me.

"We had a pact that either both of us go, or neither of us do. But she found it too hard. She was in so much pain. So before I could stop her... sh-she shot herself. My girlfriend killed herself right in front of me."

"She was your girlfriend?" Wanda questions, facing me with tears streaming down her face. I nod.

Valera was the only person I got real communication with. I loved her.

I still do.

"Oh, my darling," the witch coos and brings me onto her lap, where I'm given the biggest and tightest hug that I have ever received. "I'm so sorry, my sweetheart. So sorry. I'm gonna protect you from this all, I promise."

-

im so boring all i've done all day is write and deep clean my room😭