no big deal

age: 16

-

Y/N's POV

I'm an amazing student. I work my ass off for my grades and I don't even remember the last time I got less than eighty percent on a test. I'm always prepared

Except for when my teacher announces that we have a science test today, one that I did not happen to revise for because I didn't even know we had one! Apparently, we've had two weeks to study for it, but clearly I didn't listen to that because this has taken me by surprise.

"Psst, Y/N!" my best friend whispers to me, throwing a scrunched up piece of paper at my head.

"Bitch," I whisper back.

"Whatever. Do you have notes?"

"No, I didn't even know we had a test."

"Fuck. Okay, I'm gonna ask to go to the bathroom and then I'm gonna hide out in there. You coming?"

Despite the temptation, I know I can't do that. Besides, I have another way that I hope will get me out of this.

WANDA's POV

"Unbelievable! She's asking me to pick her up from school just because she has a test that she didn't know about!" I exclaim to Nat, who's sitting at the counter with a slight smirk. "This is not funny, Romanoff. My kid is asking me to lie for her!"

"So?" she says, "Wands, it's her first time ever doing this, it's not like she asks you to get her out of an exam every day. She's a straight-A student, minus the straight."

Still in a frenzy, I walk over to her so that we're face-to-face.

"You tryna kiss me, Witchy?" she chuckles, leaning forward as a joke before pulling away.

"Now isn't the time for jokes! I- what the hell do I do?! What do I even say to the school?"

"Just tell them she has an appointment. No big deal."

After contemplating it, Natasha's right. Y/N has never done this before and she'll be so disappointed in herself if she fails this test, so I may as well go and save her.

Just as I'm getting ready to leave, I get another message saying to hurry up.

I rush there as fast as possible without breaking any laws. I'm assuming the test has started, but Y/N's probably just doing what she can until I arrive.

And when I do, I quickly inform the people at the front desk that my daughter has an appointment and they make an announcement for Y/N to come here with her things.

"Hey, kiddo," I smile, my face dropping slightly as I see her frown.

We quickly get her signed out and walk to the car. When we're both in, I see a tear roll down her face.

"Hey," I say softly, "You. Look at me."

Slowly, she turns her head to face me.

"This isn't a huge deal, sweetheart. You're not the first person in the world to have not known about a test and panic. I know you wanna do well in school, and you are, but please don't stress out about this. Let's go for some ice cream and shopping, yeah?"

Despite more tears falling, she nods and I start driving to the shopping center, holding onto her hand to help calm her down on the way.

By the time we arrive, her face is still damp and the end of her nose has gone all pink.

"Lovebug, you don't need to be so upset," I reassure her, reaching over and helping her climb onto my lap, making do with the cramped car space.

"I'm so mad at myself," she whispers against me.

"You just got scared. It was unexpected. I'm proud of you for asking me come get you, it means that you listened to your needs and followed through with it. I love you, my sweet, sweet Y/N."

"I love you, too, mama."