follow mama

warnings: panic attack

age: 11

-

WANDA's POV

"There's gonna be a lot of people today, Y/N. So if you get overwhelmed and start to shut down, what do you do?" I ask my girl. She has crippling social anxiety and today we're going to a Disney World with the team. We're all in Florida at the moment for a little holiday, and this is just one of the many activities we have planned.

"Take the keys that you're keeping hooked onto your belt loop," she answers, already starting to pick at her cuticles out of anxiousness.

"That's right. If you feel like you can actually tell me then do, but I know that you don't always want the others to hear so that's our backup option. We're gonna have such an amazing day, I promise."

-

"Space Mountain next!" the daredevil that is Natasha Romanoff yells in excitement, whereas everyone else has an uneasy reaction.

"Nat, we just came off of an insanely large rollercoaster," Clint tries to reason with her. "Why not let Y/N choose the next one? She was too scared to go on the others so let's choose something that she wants. Y/N, what ride do you like the look of, sweetie?"

Suddenly faced with a big decision, I feel my daughter squeeze my hand tighter in panic and I place my free hand on her shoulder to help calm her down.

"You know what, guys, I think Y/N's starting to get a little tired. I'm just gonna take her away for a few moments," I let them all know, "Keep your phones on so I can call you afterwards."

With that, I pick up my hyperventilating child and place her on my hip. She hides her face away in the crook of my neck and I do my best to remind her to try to breathe slower as I'm also looking for a place for her to have some quiet time.

"It's loud, mommy," she cries, trying to reach into my backpack from where her arms are resting around the back of my neck.

"I know, doll, I know. Let me just..." I trail off as I slowly lower her so that's she's standing on the floor and I go into my bag to grab her headphones. Once they're on and are blocking out a significant amount of the noise, I lift her back into my arms and continue walking.

Luckily, a member of staff spots us within a minute and manages to take us to a quiet room where we can stay for a little while.

When I place Y/N down on a chair, I can see the tears streaming down her face and the way she's rapidly trying to take a deep breath.

I take her headphones off so that she can hear me, and hold onto her hands.

"Shh, shh. Come on, sweet girl, you've got this. Follow mama," I coax her and take a long breath in. She tries her hardest to follow but ends up coughing slightly instead.

"There we go," I praise when she's managed to take a full deep breath. "Just keep doing those. You're doing so well, angel. You're so safe right now, I'd never let anything bad happen to you. Ever."

-

some people are just the absolute best.