i'll always be here

age: 14

making it (mean ish) mama nat and aunt wanda in this one:))

and this one's set in the compound

-

WANDA's POV

As usual on Friday evenings, I'm sat with Y/N and Nat in the kitchen as we wait for the pizza we ordered to arrive.

The others are all doing their own things around the place, but this is a little tradition of ours, and it includes Carol when she's actually on Earth.

Y/N has seemed kind of off lately, a little bit more distant than usual. I'm not sure what's going on, but maybe I'll find out tonight whilst we're all spending time together.

"Hey, mom?" she speaks up, looking to Nat who's currently leaning against the countertop.

"Hm?" she hums in response, turning her phone off and placing it down to pay attention to her daughter.

"Later on, after dinner... can we try skin-to-skin contact?" she asks meekly, almost looking scared of being rejected. "It's just... I've been feeling kind of touch deprived lately and I feel like that could help." Once again, she's hardly talking above a murmur.

"Ew, what?" Nat chuckles as if she's making fun of her. "No, Y/N. That's weird."

Accepting the unwanted answer, my darling niece falls back into the bar stool she's on beside me and looks up at the ceiling as she attempts to blink away tears. Nat doesn't even notice.

I can't believe Nat just denied her child the sort of love that she needs. Especially in such a harsh way.

"I'll do skin-to-skin with you, Y/N," I tell her, placing a hand on her shoulder for support.

"Wanda," Nat says like she's telling me that I can't.

"Nat, she's a kid. It isn't a weird thing to want to do at all. If you won't provide her with that contact then I will." After I'm done chastising, I turn to Y/N. "Come on, bubba. We'll go to my room. We can get the food later."

With one last scowl to Nat, I take my niece by the hand and we make our way up to my bedroom, where she instantly starts crying due to the harshness of her mother's words.

"Oh, love," I coo, bringing her into my arms and letting her cry until it turns into small gasps every now and then.

"She was so mean," she whimpers, pulling away from my hold.

"She was mean, honey," I validate and walk over to my bed, taking my top off, leaving me in just my bra. "Come on."

Jumping at the opportunity, she too takes her top off as she's left with nothing on the top half of her body. It doesn't bother me, we're comfortable with each other.

"I've got you," I say soothingly as she snuggles into me, the warmth of her skin clashing with the similar temperature of mine. "I'm sorry that she was so rude to you, Y/N. Just know that I'm always here if you need a cuddle."

As if silently thanking me, she nods against the crook of my neck and holds on tighter.

"And you know, I don't think your mom meant it in the way it came out," I sigh, not wanting to defend Nat, yet also not wanting her daughter to forever hold a grudge. "You know about your mom's past, right?"

She nods, so I continue.

"I think that she just finds this unnatural because she never received that type of care as a kid. It just doesn't seem right to her. But I promise that in those moments where she can't overcome her past for you, I'll be here. I'll always be here."

-

new books coming out on the 1st of july 🥳