baking powder

what a random title for a one shot

age: 13

-

Y/N's POV

It's currently Sunday morning and I'm bored out of my mind.

Luckily, I know where to go if I have nothing to do, so I slowly traipse my way downstairs and see mom in the kitchen, looking at a recipe book.

"Hi!" I say in a cheery voice, walking up to her and hugging her from the side.

"Aww, hi, sweetheart," she replies, moving her arm to wrap around me. "Are you okay?"

Still cuddled into her, I nod and squeeze her tighter.

"Y/N, I love you to pieces, but I do need to breathe," she laughs, so I loosen up and let go.

"I'm bored," I explain as I peer over her shoulder to look at the recipe book she's staring at.

"Well, I'm baking some things today, you wanna help?"

As if she thinks I could ever say no to baking with her. We used to do it a lot when I was younger but then I became, in her words. 'a grumpy teenager'.

Rude, if you ask me.

"Duhhh," I answer, and she ruffles my hair before lifting me up onto the counter.

For the next ten minutes, she explains what we're making and now it's time to get all of the ingredients out.

"Oh, no, sweetie, that's baking soda, what we need is baking powder," she tells me, looking in the cupboard for the correct ingredient.

"What's the difference, anyway?" I ask, placing the baking soda back.

"You know what? I honestly don't know. But I know that they're not the same."

Once the correct ingredients are out, we start on separate things.

Whilst mom's busy making cupcakes, I'm making cookie batter. Hopefully she doesn't catch on to the chocolate chips I'm sneakily putting into my mouth.

All of a sudden, mom starts belting out a song that's playing and she sounds like a seagull.

But while she's distracted, I manage to put a little amount of cookie dough in my mouth.

I don't know what I've done wrong, but that is not how cookies are meant to taste.

As fast as humanly possible, I run over to the bin and spit the dough out, rinsing my mouth out with a random glass of water on the counter.

"What on Earth did you put in those cookies," mom asks me after she's finished her laughing fit.

"I followed the recipe!" I defend myself, pouting slightly.

"Mhm," she hums skeptically, looking over at where my ingredients are. "So did you mean to get oat milk and coconut flour instead of regular milk and regular flour?"

... I did not.

"Oh," I giggle, and so does she.

"You're so silly," she tells me before grabbing some flour and blowing it in my face.

"Hey!"

"You're fine. See." She chucks some more onto me, but I grab an egg and she quickly changes expressions. "Y/N, do not."

Without a word, I start chasing her around the kitchen island until she gives in and attempts to shield herself.

But it doesn't stop me from cracking the egg directly on her head so that all the yolk drips down her clothes and onto the floor.

"Oh, you're on."

-

posting a happy one because it's been a good day💛