watercolor day

woke up to a gigantic spider on my floor today

age: 17

-

WANDA's POV

When your seventeen year old daughter's high-pitched squeal is what wakes you up from an afternoon nap on the couch, your first instinct would naturally be to yell at her to shut up.

But me, I know more or less why she seems so excited.

There's this girl who caught her eye about a month ago, and now Y/N only ever talks about her.

I'm pretty sure that if you were to cut her in half, images of the girl she has a massive crush on would come spilling out of her.

"Mom! Mom!" she calls for me as she comes running into the lounge, whilst I'm still waking up.

"Hang on, baby," I tell her groggily, sitting up slowly, "Mommy's sleepy."

She pouts slightly, "I'm sorry, I didn't know you were asleep. If you want, I can come back later."

"No, no, it's okay," I reassure her softly and lean forward to give her a quick hug before pulling away. "Go on, tell your mama what happened with Lana today."

Not even hesitating, the smile returns to her face about five times bigger and she shuffles closer to me.

"So, I was walking to art class, right? And guess who's there!" she exclaims as if I don't already know who she's talking about.

"Well obviously it's gonna be Lana," I state the obvious, but she shakes her head.

"Nope. Miss Greenwood. Turns out I have a detention tomorrow."

I'm not even surprised, if I'm being honest. It's Y/N.

She's a good student and isn't disrespectful (at least not intentionally) however, she can be very... opinionated. So probably ended up backchatting without realizing it.

"That's fine, I can try and get you out of it," I say, knowing that I'll always back my daughter up on these things.

"Thank you!" she smiles before crashing forward into my arms. "Okay, now serious talk." Y/N lets go of me again and looks me in the eyes.

"So we got to choose where to sit today," she starts, "And all of Lana's friends were at the front of the room but she chose to sit next to me!"

"Ah, that sweet!" I exclaim, but she quickly tells me to shut up so that she can continue.

"Mother. This is serious. You can't interrupt me," I'm scolded, so I keep my lips pursed together. "It was watercolor day today, and I was reaching for a paintbrush and her hand brushed against mine, I can't ever wash my hands again!"

Almost immediately after she tells me, I burst into laughter, resulting in a small frown from her.

It isn't funny, it's just how she's saying that she'll never wash this girl's touch off.

"Stop laughing," she whines and throws a pillow at my head, I quickly pull myself together.

"Sorry, love. That's cute, though!"

Unfortunately, that still doesn't make her frown go away.

"Hey, what's the matter, buttercup?" I ask, placing my hand on her shoulder. She slowly looks up to me and leans down to rest on my chest.

"Do you think there's any way she likes me back?"

Questions like these are hard, because I have hardly any time to prepare an answer and I don't want to end up saying the wrong thing.

"Well, there's always the possibility," I say, "There's no way for me to know for sure, but it might've come across her mind. Do you know if she's even into girls?"

"Yeah, I heard her and her friends talking about it one time."

I nod, smoothing her hair back, "There's only one way to find out, sweets," I answer and pick up her phone, handing to her.

As if confused, she furrows her brows. But then takes it from me and goes to Lana's contact.

"What do I-"

"Whatever comes to mind. Just start with getting to know her better, it's never a good idea to rush into things."

Did she take my advice? No. Did it backfire in her face? Yep.

Because 2 weeks later, I now have a crying teen who was rejected because she moved far too quickly.

I can't say I blame her, though. She's young, she's gonna make mistakes. And that's okay.

-

writing this now (06/05/23 at 15:16) i'm predicting that at LEAST one person is gonna say something along the lines of 'lana del rey' for the lana part

but she slays so