it isn't scary

age: 2

-

WANDA's POV

Although a struggle, getting my toddler ready for bed every night is something I savor every moment of. One day, she'll be doing it all on her own and won't need me. Just that thought alone makes my eyes water, I don't ever want her to grow up.

Right now, it's time for her bath and she isn't cooperating.

"Come on, sunshine, it's bath time," I beg Y/N since she's currently screaming every time I try and approach her. I know she's just doing it to be a brat because every time I back away again, she bursts into giggles.

"This isn't funny," I tell her in a sterner voice, attempting to get close again but as expected, she squeals extremely loudly. "Y/N, stop!" I raise my voice, matching the volume of her screeching. She then stops immediately and her bottom lips starts quivering.

It's rare that I'll yell at her. In fact, I wouldn't say I ever yell at my daughter, I just raise my voice sometimes if she really isn't listening or I lose my patience.

"I'm sorry I upset you, darling," I apologize genuinely, "Can mama pick you up to take you to the bath or do you wanna walk?"

Still grumpy with me and with tears pricking at her eyes, Y/N simply starts toddling off to the bathroom and sits down on her step stool for the sink as she waits for me to get the bath running.

I knew that there was no point in filling up the tub before I went to get her, because it would've gotten cold by the time our bath time argument would have subsided.

In the meantime as I'm waiting for there to be enough water for her to get in, I ask her if I can take her clothes off - because I still find that it's important to ask your children that as soon as they're able to make a conscious decision. She lets me and by the time I've put in the bubbles and a few of her bath toys, which are mainly barbie mermaids, the bath has filled up.

Since she knows what time it is now, Y/N starts shuffling as far back as she can go before she hits the wall behind her. The poor thing startled herself.

"Come on, sweetheart. It isn't scary, I promise you," I try and coax her gently, not wanting to physically move her since that would frighten her and cause a sense of distrust.

She's had plenty of other baths before, and has been perfectly compliant, but they've become scary recently for some reason. Maybe it's a sensory thing.

"Mama, get in," she mumbles, pointing to the tub.

It's clear that my daughter wants me to get in with her. I already showered this morning, but if it'll help her then I suppose I can get in with her.

After I've quickly thrown my hair into a messy bun and taken my clothes off, I get in first to show that it isn't scary, and this helps Y/N to walk over and look down into the water.

I hold her hand tightly and guide her as she uses her stepping stool to climb in. She hesitates slightly when she dips her toes in to feel the temperature, but soon realizes that it isn't that bad and sits down, relaxing fully.

Now her back is against my front and she's playing happily as I get to work on washing her hair.

"Mama, water," she babbles, wiping her eyes. Then I realize that I accidentally poured some water into her eye when I was washing out the shampoo.

"Sorry, baby," I chuckle lightly, picking up a towel to dry her eyes with. When that's taken care of, I finish off everything else I need to do and relax against the back of the tub. "Do you wanna get out now, babe?"

"No!" she says loudly, turning around and falling back onto me, water spilling over the edge and onto the floor.

I would mind and get out to clean it up right away, if it weren't for my adorable daughter laying chest-to-chest with me and relaxing against my body.

"You're so annoying sometimes, but I literally love you so much, Y/N."

-

this was cuuute