so much to do

request: @charlithewallflower

age: 16

!!! this oneshot is based on something called Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA). it's an unofficial disorder and can't be classed as a diagnosis, but it's a sub-type of autism, and essentially causes the person difficulty in getting certain things done at certain times, like when they're expected. and it also refers to the things that said people will do to avoid demands

this from the internet might explain better: Autistic people may avoid demands or situations that trigger anxiety or sensory overload, disrupt routines, involve transitioning from one activity to another, and activities/events that they don't see the point of or have any interest in. They may refuse, withdraw, 'shutdown' or escape in order to avoid these things.

i personally have pda (it's not very slay) sooo i guess im just gonna write my mind?

-

Y/N's POV

Having autism is hard enough, but having to deal with PDA alongside all of that, is even worse.

Since I'm homeschooled, it makes it increasingly difficult to do my work if I'm not interested in what we're doing or if I simply don't feel like it.

Pretty much all I can manage to do is stay in my room and do the things that interest me most - write fan fiction and watch films (only with my favorite actresses in).

I still have times where I'm able to go out to places or do things other than stay in my bedroom, just not as often as I'd like.

Just as I'm watering my plants, mom walks into my room via the semi-open door.

"Hiya, lovely. Just coming in to let you know that if you feel up for it at any point, I wanted to go into town today. But you don't have to if you don't want to," she tells me, knowing that I may not be able to handle going. Especially since it's last minute.

"Um, I can try," I say back, already starting to panic slightly.

"Well don't feel forced, Y/N. If you can't handle it then it's not a problem. How are you feeling today?"

As what feels programmed, I reply, "Fine."

"Not the automated answer, honey. I know it's hard for you to answer direct questions, so take some time to think about it, and then come find me when you're ready to talk."

Thankful that she's given me some time, I nod and she smiles at me before exiting my room again so that I can reflect on my feelings.

About ten minutes later, I have my answer.

"I don't know," I tell my mom after going into the kitchen and finding her as she's cleaning the countertops. "I don't feel like anything's happened for me to make that decision yet."

"That's fair enough," she replies, putting the cleaning products down and focusing on me. "Have you decided whether or not you want to come into town with me later?"

"Yeah. I think I might. I'm gonna go get ready."

"Alright, love. Let me know when you're ready."

She's gonna wish she didn't say that, because my procrastination has set in.

I'm comfortable right now, on my bed and in my comfy clothes. Putting on clothes to go out in is so much effort, and getting ready will be boring. I want to go to town, but I don't want to get ready.

"Y/N, you ready?" mom calls to me from downstairs, and I suddenly freeze up and panic, knowing that I'm not ready in the slightest.

When I haven't answered for about a minute, mom comes into my room and sees me sitting on my bed.

Her face softens when she sees how scared I am.

"Y/N/N," she sighs, taking a seat beside me. "Do you not wanna leave home? Because that would be fine, I can go into town on my own."

I start shaking my head, "No, I wanna go, I really wanna go. It just feels like there's so much to do in order to get ready to go and it's too much and I just-"

"Slow down, baby," she interrupts me, placing her hand on my shoulder. "You don't need to worry. It was my fault for rushing you, I'm sorry. If you can't handle going out today then don't. I can stay here with you and order what I need online. It's okay, I would much rather you feel comfortable and calm than under pressure."

-

i feel like i represented this SO BADLY but it's kind of hard to write about things you deal with personally because like it's just normal for me?😭