too much

request: MarvelousMissMarvel

warnings: sensory overload

age: 13

this isn't an autistic reader, just a sensory overload:)

-

Y/N's POV

School today has already been exhausting enough, let alone the fact that I have to go to out for dinner later with everyone.

Normally, I don't get overly stressed out about these things, but it's been a long day.

"You ready to go, babe?" mom asks me as she finishes applying her lipstick for tonight.

Oh yeah, it's a fancy restaurant we're going to. Meaning that instead of wearing comfy clothes, I have to go in a dress. I don't mind dresses, but I'm just not in the mood for it today.

"In a few. Hey, you look really pretty," I tell her sweetly, and she leans down to give my cheek a kiss before pulling away and laughing slightly.

"I got lipstick on you," she chuckles as she licks the pad of her thumb and wipes it on my cheek to get it off.

"Ew, mom! You know how much I hate when you do that, it's disgusting," I whine, batting her hand away.

"Sorry, sweetheart," she apologizes genuinely, "Thank you for saying I look pretty, though. You look pretty, too. Come on, let's get to the car."

As instructed, I follow mom out to the car and we both get in. After about a minute onto the road, mom suddenly decides to turn on the radio on a medium volume. But it feels like too much.

"No," I whine, covering my ears with my hands.

Clearly she gets the hint since I see her turn it back off again and she gently guides my hands down from my ears.

"You okay, Y/N/N?" she asks softly, keeping her eyes on the road.

"Yeah, I just don't want the radio on," I reply plainly, she hums in acknowledgment.

-

"What do you want to have to eat, lovey?" I'm asked by my aunt Carol while the waiter is currently taking Sam's gigantic order. Mom's in the bathroom and everyone knows how shy I can get and that I hate ordering my own food. Therefore, Carol is stepping in.

"Can you please ask her for the kid's chicken nuggets?" I whisper back, my knee shaking rapidly under the table from how loud it is in here.

"Of course," she smiles, wrapping her arm around my shoulder and keeping me close.

When it comes to her turn to order for the both of us, I pretend to just be looking at something on my phone so that I don't look like an idiot.

"All done. He's gone," Carol informs me, and I lift my head up again.

"Hi, sweet pea," mom greets me as she walks back to the table and takes her seat. We have a massive booth to fit all of us. It's mainly us girls on one side and the guys on the other. Except for Nat, she's wedged in between Clint and Tony.

As time goes on, I feel like my brain is picking up on more and more noise. Glasses being clinked together, cutlery scraping across plates (even more so now that our food is here and everyone's eating) and all the chatter is making it too much.

And suddenly, I drop my knife and fork and cover my ears as I hide under the table, trying to drown out some of the noise.

Next thing I know, two strong arms are pulling me up - I'm assuming Carol's, and passing me over to mom who immediately walks me into the bathrooms.

"Hey, darling," she practically whispers after placing me down on the counter space between sinks. "Y/N, can I touch you?"

I nod, so she places one hand on my knee and the other to caress my cheek. I've somehow managed to pull away my hands from my ears.

"You're okay, my love. Was the noise in there too much?"

Again, I can only mutely respond to her question, so I nod.

"Do you want me to ask them to box up your food and we can go home?"

As much as I don't want to ruin the evening, I don't want to stay. But then I would have deprived my mom of a lovely night.

"You never have to be sorry, doll. You're just a kid, there are gonna be times where you're so overwhelmed that you just need a break. It even happens as an adult sometimes. I promise you, it isn't a problem at all."

-

another photo where lizzie looks just like the twins:

also her look for the premiere was so perfect