the bad days

age: 15

sorry everyone, a bit of a sad one todayyy

-

Y/N's POV

As I've gotten older, mom has only become more in control of her powers. But sometimes on the bad days, she can get scared of her own abilities and lose control. But she can always somehow predict it and she ends up sending me off to auntie Nat's until she calms down again.

But I want her to stop pushing me away, like today. She's just texted me to go to Nat's, she won't come out of her room for fear of hurting me.

I'm not leaving her today. She's scared, she needs help and support. Well, I'm the support.

Slowly as not to startle her too much, I push open her bedroom door and see her sitting in the corner of the room, on the floor.

"Get out," she cries, hiding her hands under her sleeves, as if that's gonna do anything.

"No, I'm staying," I stand my ground, walking closer and closer, until a red spark is emitted and knocks a picture frame over.

Mom immediately gasps and covers her mouth to muffle a sob. She looks terrified.

And the fear is of herself.

"Go away," she tells me, "My powers are scary, I don't wanna give you nightmares or anything."

My heart drops as she says that. She has it in her head that she's this terrible monster that will end up hurting me at some point, but she couldn't even if she tried.

"It's alright, you could never hurt me," I reassure, crouching down in front of her and trying to take her hands in mine. But she flinches. Hard.

Once she's taken a couple of deep breaths, I reach for her hands again and grip them safely in mine.

"There you go," I whisper, drawing soothing circles on the tops of her hands with my thumbs.

"Y/N, stop," she begs. "I could lose control at any moment, I don't wanna hurt-"

"You won't hurt me," I interject, "You never have. Not even emotionally. Mama, listen, you're struggling to control your magic, so you need someone here to help you. What's caused this today?"

With a shake of her head, she lets more tears fall.

"It's just one of those days. I need to be fucking restrained or something."

She's breaking my heart here.

Mom hates being restrained physically. It reminds her of all the people who have put her in straight jackets and tied her up to have her under their orders. So the fact that she's saying that she needs to be restrained is concerning.

"No, don't be ridiculous," I say seriously. "Let's get you up and into bed."

I stand up first whilst I keep ahold of mom's two hands, she follows me up and lets me guide her into the safe cave of various pillows and blankets.

"Our main goal for now is just to keep you calm for the day. So, I'm gonna go make you some tea and get you something to eat, and then I'll come back and we can watch something. Sound good?"

Honestly, I don't care if she thinks it's a good idea or not, because it's happening.

After receiving a hum of somewhere in between approval and disapproval, I turn her lights to dimmed and pick up the photo frame that she knocked down earlier before scurrying downstairs and into the kitchen.

It only takes me about five minutes to get everything, so I quickly finish up and go running back to mom's room, where I find her fast asleep.

These days really take it out of her.

-

my village had this massive celebration yesterday for the coronation (it's a v patriotic place) and it was just like the regatta we had in summer and oml it was the best thing ever