just let me be mad

age: 11

-

WANDA's POV

Having my daughter is something I would never change. I love her an unfathomable amount, but she has been a terror these past few days.

I know there's a lot of changes going on in her body right now, hormonal changes and such. It's definitely filled her with a new amount of anger that I haven't really seen from her before, and it does mean that she tries her hardest to push my limits.

I've tried not to react to her, and I'm normally quite a calm parent, but this girl has become relentless and right now, she's practically screaming in my face.

"Why aren't you just listening?!" she yells, "I don't want to go to school this week! It's fucking stressful and I just need some time off!"

"Okay," I reply, as calmly as I possibly can as not to aggravate her further. "Y/N, if you had told me from the beginning that you just needed some time off then I would have been able to listen. You need to get straight to the point instead of yelling until you get your way. I feel like you're having some trouble regulating yourself."

"I'm so fucking pissed off!" she exclaims, looking close to tears.

"Okay. Do you want me to help calm you down or do you just wanna be angry for now?"

I wait for a little while as she thinks of her response. It's good to see her actively thinking about what she needs.

"Just let me be mad," she whispers, picking at her hands aggressively.

"Alright, that's completely fine. Should I leave you alone or do you want me to stay?"

After quickly being pulled in for a hug, I take it as my cue to stay and squeeze her tightly since that can sometimes bring her down from such a rage.

Despite not having a lot of responsibility, being eleven for her is hard. So much is changing and on top of school and other things that some kids have to go through, it can be hard to decompress from things.

"Y/N, you know that I love you, right?" I say randomly, keeping her head tucked under my chin. "More than anything in the entire world. And it doesn't matter how angry you get, or sad, or any of that because I will always love you and always be here for you. I'm sorry that you're angry right now, but you're in a safe place to feel that and express it. Just tell me when you can feel it building up next time and we can work through that together. Got it?"

Given her little nod, I take it as a good sign and keep her in my hold until she's finally ready to work through the issue.