why does nobody care?

bonus one shot today:)

age: 15

teacher wanda

-

Y/N's POV

Why does nobody care? And I don't mean the few friends that check up on me sometimes. I mean, why has no one else ever cared?

People say 'I'm here if you need to talk' but if you do actually attempt to open up and get scared, they say 'I won't push you'.

Maybe that's them trying to be considerate, but you'd think that someone who truly cared would push to get an answer from you. If they really cared for your wellbeing, that they'd keep asking over and over until you cave.

But they don't. They have their own shit, they just check up on you to make themselves feel better. To make them feel like they've done a good deed.

And then there comes all the adults. Not a single one even bothers to check up on me. Like teachers - they claim it's their job to ensure their students are doing okay mentally just as much as it's their job to teach. If that's a part of their job, then they've failed miserably.

It hits even harder when your own parents don't check up on you, either. I've always hated them, they're the ones who caused me the most trauma, after all. It's not like I would open up to them if they did bother for my mental health, anyway.

Essentially, no one has ever cared for me. Maybe it's my own fault, because I love too hard. I give people my everlasting love and care and attention and perhaps I've built up expectations that someone would be willing to do the same with me. Well, it's been a let-down.

I compliment people on the smallest of things, especially things I know they're insecure about, simply because I want to bring a smile to their face and make a comment that I hope they'll always remember and be happy about. But I don't remember anyone ever doing that for me.

It sounds incredibly selfish. Like I give it to receive it back. That's not the case - I'd just like someone to think of me the way I do them.

Someone to notice the little things. Like the way my eyelids droop when I'm burnt out, the way I rock back and forth to soothe myself after something triggering, the way I bounce my knee up and down when I'm anxious.

It's an unrealistic ask. At least, that's what life is telling me.

WANDA's POV

There's this one student of mine - Y/N. She's a lovely girl, and I really enjoy having her in my lessons. But I can tell that something is off with her.

To my knowledge, she's never acted out or anything. My attention is just drawn to the way she does things. The little things.

For example, if she's stressed then she'll play with her jewelry or tangle her hands up in her hair. If she's happy then she starts subconsciously smiling and the second she notices it, she stops. And my favorite, she has these bracelets that look homemade, and they change every now and then.

Some of them are constant, but some of the others change. I wonder if they represent certain things.

Right now, she's sat near the front of my class whilst I wrap up this lesson and get ready to let them all go to lunch. Y/N has seemed a little sad this morning, though. So I might ask her to stay so we can chat.

"Hey," I whisper to her after just dismissing the class. "Can I talk to you, please?"

Hesitantly, she nods and returns to her seat, putting her bag down again.

I wait until everyone else has left before shutting the door and bringing my chair to sit opposite her. She looks nervous.

"I know you're feeling down today. I can tell," I say softly, trying my hardest to sound sympathetic but not too confrontational.

"I'm sorry. Did I not do the work properly or something?"

"No, no! It's nothing like that, sweetheart. I don't care about that."

It takes everything in me not to audibly 'aww' when I see the way her eyes light up at me calling her the pet name.

"Oh. So... what's this about then?" she asks.

"I just wanted to check on you. You don't seem very okay and I care about you."

She tries to cover up the shake of her head, but I see it. This girl must have a lot of doubts about who cares about her.

"What's going on, honey? I promise you that I'm a safe person to talk to. Whatever you're gonna say, provided that it isn't extremely concerning, won't leave this room. I'm here, and you can trust me."

Y/N really doesn't seem to be convinced. Yet I can also tell how tempted she is to open up.

It's only a matter of time before she does.

"No one cares," she whimpers, her bottom lip trembling. "No one fucking cares! Why, why does nobody care? No one wants to take care of me, no one wants to love me, no one wants to be here for me but I just keep giving and giving and giving and it hurts. It burns."

At this point, I have a crying teenager in front of me and my heart feels heavy at the sight. I wish I was able to just lift her onto my lap and soothe her for hours and hours until she falls asleep peacefully in my arms. But school policy doesn't allow that. The most I can do is give her a hug.

"Come here, sweet pea," I coo and stand up from my chair. She does the same and walks right into my open arms, immediately settling her head onto my chest. It's like she's chasing the comfort. She naturally wants the closest contact possible.

-

Around half an hour later, I've calmed the girl down and we've both made our way onto the floor somehow, and she now has her head laying on my lap whilst I stroke her hair slowly.

No other words have been exchanged between us, just her loud cries and my occasional gentle reassurances.

"No one's ever held me like that before," she sniffles quietly. "I've never felt that safe in someone's arms before. Thank you."

"Oh, honey," I sigh, "I'm here any time you need a hug. I mean it. I may just be a teacher but I really do notice a lot about you. You're cared for more than you think."

-

sorry this took so long to get the speech in and that this one was longer haha