are you my miss honey

warnings: heavy mentions of abuse

age: 8

teacher wands🤍

-

WANDA's POV

It's not rare that one student in particular, Y/N Y/L/N, comes into school with bruises scattered across her body.

Her parents claim that she's 'just a clumsy kid' but I have my doubts. I don't think any other members of staff are thinking of advancing the investigation, but I don't think I can just allow this subject to be pushed down.

As I'm greeting all the kids in my class as they come in, I notice Y/N looking awfully upset. The closer she gets, the more visible the newly formed bruise on her face becomes.

That wasn't there on Friday. So something must've happened over the weekend.

"Hi, precious," I say to her when she reaches the door. She was at the end of the line and has finally reached me. "How was your weekend, honey?"

Shyly, she shrugs and attempts to walk inside, but my arm being placed as a barrier stops her.

"Y/N, are you okay?" I ask in a soft voice. She nods before ducking under my arm and walking off into the classroom.

I decide to just leave her be for a little while, just until she settles. In the meantime, I get everything ready for the lesson.

Except, the longer I think about it, the more I realize that maybe I should go off-plan for this one. Because sometimes kids need to learn about things that you don't always learn about until you're older.

"Alright, everyone," I start and stand up from my desk chair at the front of the class. "Before we begin anything work related, we're gonna have a discussion about something else."

I take a deep breath and make brief eye contact with Y/N before continuing.

"Sometimes as a child, not everyone has a safe adult to go to. Now having a safe adult is very important to our wellbeing and development, but sadly not everyone has access to that. This can be for multiple reasons. Parents who don't always appreciate their children enough. Or don't treat them respect or kindness. Sometimes parents can even try their hardest to do everything right for their children but end up hurting them along the way. Whatever the cause, every child should still have a safe person to go to. And I just want to put it out there that although a lot of your moms and dads are very wonderful people, I'm still here if any of you need someone to go to."

After my little speech, I move on to today's actual lesson.

-

Surprisingly, a couple of kids from my class have come up to me to talk. But nothing I've been told has been alarming, mainly just small issues that they're yet to tell their parents. Arguments with friends and such.

But something that shocks me to my core, is when Y/N approaches me during lunchtime, when no one else is around in my classroom.

"Hey there," I smile lightly, turning off my laptop so that she has my full attention. "How was your lunch, sweetheart?" I ask and she tenses up.

I swear if I'm about to hear what I think I am.

"I didn't get any," she admits in a mousy voice. "I don't have any money and my parents forgot again."

Again? As in this has happened before?

"Do they do that a lot?"

She shrugs, pulling up a chair and bringing it in front of mine. I know that she wants to talk to me, but she's probably terrified beyond belief.

"Well I have some extra food if you want any? I always keep snacks in my drawers in case any of you get hungry," I offer, opening up said drawer so she can see for herself what I have.

But in her apprehension, she declines politely. Too politely. Like she's scared that she'll get in trouble for saying no.

As we sit and make light conversation for the next few minutes, the more noticeable the bruise on her cheekbone becomes. It's definitely been covered by makeup. Poorly, may I add.

Deciding to be straightforward, I ask, "How did that bruise get there?" and Y/N starts to shake with fear. "Sweetheart, don't be scared. I'm gonna help you, I just need you to tell me what's going on. Are your parents... are they hurting you?"

Quicker than expected, she nods and feels around the bruise on her face, wincing as she does so.

"Try not to touch, sweetheart," I tell her, my voice being as soft as I can possibly make it since I imagine she doesn't get to experience hearing that voice an awful lot. "That was so brave of you, Y/N. Thank you for telling me. Can you tell me what it is that they do?"

The more she explains, the more I can feel my heart cracking. She doesn't deserve this. No one does.

"Oh, my love..." I sigh, feeling all of my emotions come up to the surface. "Listen to me, Y/N. You were brought into a family that doesn't always appreciate you. But one day, things are going to be very different."

Her eyes light up at my words before a small look of hope appears. "Miss Honey?"

Confused, I ask, "What's that, sweetheart?"

"That's Miss Honey's quote. From Matilda. Are you my Miss Honey?"

I smile and open up my arms. I'm not sure if she'll feel safe enough to let me hug her, but I'd still like to provide the comfort should she want it.

But unexpectedly, she does stand up and step forward, wrapping her arms around my body as I do the same with her.

"Yes, precious. I'll be your Miss Honey."

-

my blood test yesterday was fine now i just have to wait for the results pahaha

anyway my nurse was so good like normally they can never get a vein with me but she was straight in and straight out