8

"What's on the list?" Colby asked as we strolled down the aisles of the grocery store.

"I don't really know. I haven't really figured out what I'm making for dinner. All I know is that we need stuff for the kids' lunches." I said as Colby nodded.

"Red Bull and fruit snacks." He said causing me to laugh. "Exactly." I said as he took my hand.

I loved getting to so simple tasks like this with Colby.

There was hardly anyone in this store which meant we had both let our guard down just a little bit.

It sucked living in constant fear, but moments like this were huge and felt so good.

"So, I think I'm gonna have to talk to Jenna later. I don't want her to see me as my mom or even a mom in general." I said with a sigh.

"I'm her older sister who wants what is best for her, but I'm not her mom." I said and looked up at Colby.

"Yeah, it's tough. You want her to be successful in life so you make her do her homework, and you don't want them growing up to be brats but you shouldn't be the one raising them." Colby said with a nod as I put bananas in the basket.

"I just don't want her to hate me the way she hates my mom." I said as he shook his head.

"You won't lay a finger on her. She's just in her bratty teenage phase and needs to be put in her place." He said as I grabbed a bag of carrots.

"I'll handle it." I said then took his hand again.

We spent the next hour grocery shopping since we couldn't decide what the hell we were going to get.

When we got home, we unpacked the groceries then went into the bedroom.

"Ugh." I grumbled as I flopped onto the bed. "What's wrong?" Colby asked with a laugh.

"Nothing, just tired." I said with a yawn. "Take a nap." He said simply as I nodded.

"I just might. Will you lay with me?" I asked as he nodded. "Until you fall asleep." He said then laid next to me, pulling me into him.

"You have to wake me up at two so we can go get the kids." I said as he nodded. "I will, don't worry." He said then kissed my head and scratched my back gently until I drifted off to sleep.

"Julia." Jenna said causing my eyes to fly open. "Did I oversleep?" I asked, sitting up.

"You did this." She said from the doorway. She was wearing a short white dress with blood smeared on the front of it.

"What happened?!" I asked, getting up so I could rush over to her. "You did this!!" She screamed, only for her to fade away to nothing. "Jenna?!" I asked, looking around.

"JENNA!" I cried out as I heard screaming and gunshots downstairs.

I bolted up, clutching my chest as I looked around.

It had been such a long time since I have had a nightmare but its been forever since I've had such a graphic one like that.

I looked around the room to see that Colby wasn't in here anymore, but in the distance I smelled cigarettes.

I scrunched my brow then got out bed and went towards the balcony. When I opened the door I saw Colby smoking as he looked up at the sky.

I haven't seen Colby smoke since we left Seattle so I wasn't expecting it.

"What are you doing?" I asked quietly causing him to look up at me. "I was about to wake you up." He said as I shook my head.

"Why are you smoking?" I asked then shifted uncomfortably. "I don't know. Was just bored and feeling a little on edge." He said then stubbed the cigarette out and stood up.