16

Colby's POV

"When is sissy gonna be awake?" Juniper asked as she colored in her new coloring book. "Hopefully very soon." I said as Jenna shifted next to me, laying her head on my shoulder.

"Can we go see her?" Juniper asked as I chuckled. "I don't think you're going anywhere for a little while, kid." I said as Carter laughed.

"Juniper has never sat still a day in her life." He said then ruffled her hair.

"I think it's in your genes." I said as Jenna flinched next to me. "Jenna?" Sam asked as I scrunched my brow.

"What's going on?" I asked as Carter sighed and reached over, taking his sister's hand. "She's having a nightmare I think." He said as I frowned and wrapped my arm around her.

I felt a responsibility to protect her since Julia couldn't. I cared about these kids but usually Julia did the parenting.

I was just there to buffer when things went down and to help Julia as much as possible.

It only took a couple more seconds before Jenna was bolting up, screaming. "Hey, it's okay." I said and hugged her. The other kids were silent as Jenna cried in my arms.

I don't think they knew how to react since Jenna wasn't much of a crier at all. "It was just a nightmare." I mumbled as she nodded, pulling away so she could wipe her cheeks.

"You okay, Jen?" Carter asked as she nodded, looking down at her lap. "Is Jule awake?" She asked as I shook my head. "I don't think so." I said as someone knocked on the door.

"Robert, can I speak with you?" A nurse asked as I nodded and stood up. "I'll be right back, okay?" I asked as the kids nodded. I sighed then went out to the hallway with the nurse, closing the door behind me.

"Briana is awake, we have a couple updates but I don't want to give them in front of the kids." She said as I nodded. "So let's walk and talk." I said, feeling the urge to see Julia right away.

"She's very dazed and confused, I don't think she knows what happened and she's really upset about it." The nurse explained as we walked down the hallway. "She keeps going on about the baby but she's not pregnant." She said as my heart sank.

"She's had two miscarriages so hospitals trigger those emotions." I said as she nodded. "That makes sense. Between the crash and the seizure she had, her brain is still trying to catch up from the trauma." She explained.

"The doctor will be in to give more information but try to be patient and keep her as calm as possible." The nurse said as we got to Julia's room.

"I don't want to start any problems, but she's been asking for someone names Colby." She said quietly before I could go in.

"Hmm. Thanks for letting me know." I said then reached for the door handle.

When I walked into the room, Julia looked up at me then burst into tears.

"Woah! Hey, it's okay sweetheart." I said and walked over to the bed, taking her face in my hands so I could wipe her tears.

"I'm high!!" She wailed as I frowned. "I know, only for a little while then we're gonna keep you sober. Okay?" I asked and caressed her cheeks gently.

"You're not mad?" She whimpered as I shook my head. "Not at all, I'm glad you're okay. You scared me to death, ya know." I said then gently kissed her forehead.

"Where are the kids?! What even happened! Oh god, Colby. Did I kill them?" Julia asked frantically, her heart monitor going crazy.

"Hey...take a big deep breath. Okay?" I asked as she whimpered.