164

"Stay here." Colby said quietly then kissed my forehead before he went to go check the house. "Sissy?" Juniper whimpered as I frowned, keeping my eyes on the door as I kept my gun drawn.

"It's okay, love. You're okay." I said, trying to calm her down. "There's blood." She said with a shaky tone. "I know, sweetheart. Colby's gonna get it all cleaned up, just hold on a little longer." I said and looked at my wrist.

It was already starting to bruise and I could hardly move my fingers at all. I just had so much adrenaline that I didn't care.

After a couple minutes, Colby came back into the room. "Coast is clear." He said as I nodded. "Get these bodies out of here. I don't want the kids to see them." I said quietly as Maisie cried.

I felt my heart breaking, hearing her scream but I didn't want her innocent eyes to be tarnished at such a young age. Obviously she wouldn't remember it, but I would.

"Colby." Juniper cried out as Colby sighed, taking my hand for a second and squeezing it. "Yes, love?" He asked as Jenna quietly hummed to attempt to calm down Maisie.

"I'm scared." She said as Colby closed his eyes. "I know, love. Sissy and I won't let anything happen to you." He said then opened his eyes and looked at me.

"I'm gonna get this cleaned up then we will talk about the next steps." He said as I nodded.

I watched as he began to drag the bodies out of the room, leaving a trail of blood going through my baby sister's room.

I could feel myself starting to break down slightly but I knew I had to push it down and be brave for my siblings and my daughter.

Once the bodies were taken out of the room Colby went to open the closet where the kids were sitting.

My heart jolted, seeing that they all had blood on them since the guy hit the closet on the way down.

"Best friend." Juniper whimpered as she stood up and ran to Colby. I frowned and went to take Maisie from Jenna.

"Are you guys okay?" I asked quietly as Jenna laid Maisie on my good arm since my wrist was still so limp.

"Who was that?" Sam asked as I shook my head. "No idea." I said as Colby quietly comforted Juniper. "Is she okay?" Colby asked with concern as I nodded and looked down at Maisie.

My chest burned as I looked at my daughter who had blood splattered on her face.

I was a horrible mother.

"What are we gonna do?" Jenna asked as I looked up.

"We're gonna get you guys cleaned up then we need to get out of here." Colby said and looked up at me.

"Get Juniper and I'll get Maisie." I said then looked at Jenna, Carter, and Sam. "Can you guys get cleaned up and try to pack a bag?" I asked, my voice starting to quiver.

I was embarrassed and emotionally pained, knowing I was the reason for this new trauma in their lives.

"It's okay, Jule." Carter said as Jenna hugged me. "Just hurry." I said quietly before pulling away and leaving the room with Maisie in my arms.

My wrist was in so much pain but I didn't care. I just needed to hurry and get Maisie and the kids to safety.

I had done enough damage.

As I gave Maisie a quick bath I felt myself breaking down. It was gut wrenching seeing my two week old daughter with blood splattered on her face.

Her innocent features were being plagued by violence.