13

Colby's been acting strange for the past couple days. I was trying to not worry about it because I trusted him but I was scared he was pulling away from me again.

I understood that he was trying to deal with the change of me having a job.

It was hard on him whether he wanted to admit it or not. I just didn't appreciate that he was shutting me out a little bit.

"Colby?" I asked, walking around the house, trying to find him. I was off for the day but I needed to go pick up the kids in a couple minutes and wanted to see if he wanted to come with.

I huffed out a breath then walked downstairs to see him smoking on the back porch.

I hated to admit that I was getting annoyed with him smoking all the time.

I knew he was an adult and could make his own decisions but smoking was bad for him and I kind of liked him and wanted him around.

I rolled my eyes then opened the door, crossing my arms. "Hey." He said, not looking up from his phone.

"Colby." I said with a sigh, causing him to look up at me. "What's wrong?" He asked with a frown.

"You've been smoking a lot lately.." I said quietly, leaning against the door. "Does it bother you?" He asked as I nodded. "It does." I said as he sighed.

"I'm sorry. I've just been stressed." Colby said and patted his leg so I could sit.

"About what?" I asked and sat on his lap. "Just stuff." He mumbled as I sighed. "You can talk to me you know." I said quietly.

"You just wouldn't understand." He said as I rolled my eyes and stood up. "Kay." I said then started to go inside.

"Julia-" Colby started as he got up and followed after me. "No. I wouldn't understand." I said as he groaned.

"I didn't mean it like that, Jules." He said as I whipped around and looked at him. "Then what did you mean?" I asked angrily.

"It's complicated." He said as I shook my head. "Communicating with your girlfriend shouldn't be complicated." I said then turned to walk away again.

"Cmon Jules, don't be like this." Colby said as I shook my head, grabbing my keys.

"Where are you going?" He said as I rolled my eyes.

"Doesn't matter." I said as my phone rang. "Hey." I said, answering the phone.

"Hey, Bri. A couple of us are going out tomorrow, I'm just calling to ask if you wanted to come." Austin said as I sighed.

"Oh that sounds fun. I'll let you know." I said as Colby's face hardened. "Great, hopefully see you then." Austin said then hung up.

"Who was that?" Colby asked as I shrugged. "Austin." I said and started going towards the front door.

"Julia, stop walking away from me." Colby said as I rolled my eyes and turned to him.

"You've been shutting me out for the past couple days, why can't I ignore you now?" I asked angrily. "What do you mean I've been shutting you out?" Colby asked as I huffed out a breath.

"You wouldn't understand." I mocked, causing him to narrow his eyes. "What the fuck is wrong with you, Julia." Colby asked angrily.

"What's wrong with me?! What's wrong with you, Colby!" I yelled as he clenched his jaw.

"You've been hiding something and I know it! You can't even try to deny it." I said as he shook his head. "You don't know shit." He said as I nodded.

"Yeah. Because you don't tell me anything that's going on with you." I said simply then turned to walk away again.