167

"What are we gonna do?" I asked as Colby attempted to rock Maisie to sleep. She was struggling a lot with the new scenery and has been crying for over an hour.

"She'll calm down. We just have to be patient." Colby said with a sigh.

"No...like we can't keep her down here. I don't like it at all." I said with a frown, reaching over to gently caress Maisie's cheek.

"I know, we'll start looking for houses as soon as we can." Colby said as I nodded.

"I'll look on my phone later. We have to make sure it's safe though." I said as he frowned.

"Jules, sweetheart. I don't want you to worry so much. It's not good for you." He said as Maisie finally started to cry herself to sleep.

"Do you blame me?" I asked quietly. "No, I don't. I just want you to understand that I'm gonna take care of you." Colby said as I nodded.

"I know." I said gently then looked down at my wrist. "Do you think Nate is here?" I asked as Maisie looked up at me with sleepy eyes.

"Hi, sweet girl." I said quietly and caressed her cheek gently with my good hand. "Is your wrist bothering you?" Colby asked as I nodded.

"I feel like it's broken." I said with a sigh. "I just want one moment of no pain." I said as he frowned.

"How did it happen?" Colby asked. "He stepped on my wrist as hard as he could." I explained.

"Ouch. I think Nate should be here. I'll get Maisie settled in." Colby said as I nodded and turned to leave the room.

"And Jules?" Colby asked causing me to turn. "I love you." He said causing me to smile. "I love you, too." I said then turned and left the room.

"Julia?" Jules asked as I walked down the hallway. The sound of his voice caused a shiver to run down my spine, since I was still on edge after everything.

"What are you doing down here?" He asked as I sighed. "Shit is always hitting the fan. Gotta protect the family." I said as he smiled slightly.

"You had your baby?" He asked as I nodded. "Yeah." I said simply, resisting the urge to gush about my sweet daughter.

I hardly even wanted to say she was down here with us, let alone gush about how much she meant to me.

Obviously Jake would know that but I needed to keep my guard up.

"Congratulations, Jules. I always knew you'd be a great mom. I'm sorry you ended up here before you were ready." He said gently.

"Thanks, Jake. Do you know if Nate is here?" I asked as he nodded. "Yeah he should be here." He said as I nodded.

"Thanks, Jake." I said with a small smile and went to go towards Nate's office. When I got to his office I knocked on the door only for him to answer a couple seconds later.

"Oh! Hey, Jules. I didn't know you guys were here yet." Nate said as I sighed. "Yeah, we got here a couple hours ago. Can you help me?" I asked and held my hand up. "What happened?" He asked as I sighed.

"Some asshole stomped on my hand." I said as he nodded. "I take it Colby patched you up a little bit." He said as I nodded.

"Yeah, I didn't want to go to the hospital." I said as we walked down the hallway and towards the infirmary.

"Understandable. I'll get you patched up." He said with a reassuring smile.

"Other than this, how have you been doing? How's being a mom?" He asked as I frowned. "I was really enjoying it until the crime world once again butted into my life." I explained and sat down on the bed.