98

"Did you want to find out the gender today?" Dr. Moore asked as she examined the baby.

"I don't know." I sighed, looking over at Colby. He was looking at the screen with a soft but protective look on his face.

I could tell he was thinking about all the danger that was surrounding this baby and how he would do anything to keep it safe.

"What do you think?" I asked, causing him to look at me. "It's whatever you want, sweetheart." He said with a reassuring smile.

"I can write it down and put it in an envelope. You can open it if you want or you can throw it away." Dr. Moore said then pulled the wand away from my belly.

"That'd be good." I said quietly and looked at the empty screen while she wrote it down for us.

"I want to do some more elaborate tests since we're halfway through now. Are you guys back in Texas full time now?" She asked and started doing something on the computer in front of her.

"Not exactly. I don't know how we're going to figure all of this out but we have to go back to LA." I explained and looked over at Colby.

"For how long? We won't be needing to do appointments close together until thirty weeks." Dr. Moore explained.

"We're not sure how long we'll be." Colby said as I chewed my lip nervously. "Hmm. I don't want you traveling too much considering the circumstances." She said then looked up at us.

"Are you willing to see a doctor out there or have a birth plan in case you're still in LA?" She asked as I looked at Colby.

I didn't know what his plan was or how long we would be in hiding. I almost wanted him to figure something out so we could stay here but I knew it wasn't possible.

"I'd prefer her to have the baby here. It's more comfortable for her." Colby said with a sigh, watching me carefully.

"I'll figure something out and get back to you." He said, looking at the doctor.

"Okay, just keep me updated. I can always help you find resources that can make your lives easier." She said with a reassuring smile.

"I appreciate that." I said as she changed something on the ultrasound machine.

"For now we're gonna check out the baby a little more. See how the little one is growing and do some tests." She said and focused on the screen again.

We spent the next hour or so getting tests done and checking the baby out. Everything was looking perfect as far as the baby was concerned but I was far from okay.

My stress levels were out of control for obvious reasons but it was making this pregnancy more complicated.

If I didn't calm the fuck down there was a chance the baby would come early.

We would have to figure all of this crime stuff out before it was too late.

"This is for you. I want to either see you in four weeks, or hear from you before then so we can find options." Dr. Moore said and handed me the stack of papers in her hand.

"We'll be in touch." I said as Colby took my hand. "Try to relax as best as you can. You don't have to be on bed rest but try to keep yourself as calm as possible." She explained as I nodded.

"I'll try." I said with a sigh then looked at Colby. "Ready?" I asked as he nodded and led the way out of the room. "That was really cool." He said as we walked down the hallway.

"Yeah, I wish I could enjoy it more." I said quietly, putting my hand on my belly.

"I don't want you to worry, sweetheart. Everything is going to work out and I'm going to take care of you and the baby." Colby said and summoned the elevator.