173

"Jules, sweetheart, just talk to me." Colby said as I anxiously paced around his office.

I didn't know how to go about telling Colby what the governor said to me so I was stalling.

There was a part of me that thought if I said it out loud then it would actually be happening.

"Darling." Colby said with a sigh and stood up, putting his hands on my arms to stop me from pacing.

"It was the Governor." I mumbled and looked into his eyes. I watched as they squinted with confusion as the words soaked in.

"What did he want with you?" He asked after a moment. "We wants me to work with him. He uh...promised safety and good pay." I said as Colby nodded and sighed, carefully brushing my hair behind my ear.

"And what did you say?" He asked calmly. "That I would think about it." I said and closed my eyes. "Is that something you would want to do?" He asked with a gentle tone.

"I don't know what to do, Colby." I whispered, my voice cracking.

I had been trying to stay strong for so long, but it felt like I was going to explode from the pressure.

"Hey." He said gently as he pulled me into his embrace, holding me tightly.

"You don't have to decide anyting. No matter what happens, we'll always have eachother. You know that?" He asked as I nodded and laid my head against his chest.

"I just want what's right for the kids. I want them to be safe." I said as he played with my hair, gently twisting the strands through his fingers.

I appreciated how gentle Colby was when with me, but especially in this moment which was full of fear and uncertainty.

"I don't think it's the worst idea ever. Of course you wouldn't be working for him alone. You'd have all of us. You wouldn't even necessarily have to be all that involved." Colby explained.

"As long as the job gets done, it doesn't matter who's doing it." He said as I sighed. "You think so?" I asked as he nodded.

"Trust me, darling. You'd just be in charge." He said then pulled away to look at me.

"Now take a big deep breath." He said then kissed my forehead. "Everything is going to work out. Plus, I have good news." He said with a hint of excitement.

"Oh yeah?" I asked as he chuckled. "The house is ours and ready to move in. I have to go finalize the sale today but it's ours, sweetheart." He said as I giggled and wrapped my arms around his neck, holding him tightly.

I could feel the excitement radiating through me as he lifted me up and spun me around.

"We should tell the kids." I said with a smile. "Wait." Colby said as I scrunched my brow. "Hm?" I asked causing him to grin.

There was a soft but mischievous look in his eyes as he caressed my cheek gently. "I just want some time with you." He said the leaned in and gave me a gentle kiss.

I sighed against his lips, letting him pull me closer. There weren't many times nowadays where we could be completely alone, so whenever we had the chance, we had to take it.

We made out for a second before Colby lifted me up and sat me on the desk, spreading my legs so he could stand between them.

I moaned quietly as he brought his lips to my neck. Things started to get heated just as someone knocked on the door.

"What?" Colby snapped angrily as I breathed a laugh.

"Maisie won't stop crying." Jenna said as I sighed and pushed him off of me. "I knew I shouldn't have left her for so long." I said and straightened myself out before going to the door.

Jenna looked at me with a frown as Maisie screamed in her arms. "What's wrong, my sweet girl." I said quietly and took her from Jenna.

"She just ate and burped.." Jenna said as I nodded.

"Probably has an upset tummy. Go ahead and go back to the room and enjoy the quiet." I encouraged while bouncing Maisie gently.

"Thanks, Jule." Jenna said with a sigh then went to leave the room.

"You think she's sick?" Colby asked with concern as I desperately tried to calm Maisie down.

"Sick? No. Sometimes things just don't sit well with her." I said and rocked back and forth as Maisie slowly calmed down.

"That's my girl." I said quietly and looked up at Colby. He was looking at me with so much love and admiration I almost fell to my knees.

"I love seeing you be a mom." Colby said with a low tone. "I think I was born to be a mom." I said and focused on Maisie, trying to get her to relax.

"I know you were." Colby said then came over and wrapped his arms around the both of us.

I felt like I was on the top of the world, just being surrounded by Colby and Maisie.

The only thing that would make this better was if my siblings were in the room, too.

"Are you gonna go to the house?" I asked and looked up at Colby. "Yeah, I'm gonna go sign the papers and figure out when we can move in." Colby said with a nod.

"The sooner the better." I said and went to go towards the door so I could reunite with the kids.

"Sissy! Colby!" Juniper said as she ran up to Colby. "Hey, kid. Wanna go on an adventure with me?" Colby asked, causing Juniper's face to light up.

"Really??" Juniper asked with excitement. "Yeah, I need a buddy with me to go sign the papers for the new house." Colby explained.

"You guys got a house?" Jenna asked as all the kids perked up. "We get to leave this shoebox of a room?" Sam asked with a smile. "Please tell me we can leave." Carter chimed in.

"Very soon, guys. I'm gonna sign the paper and figure out when we can make some moves." Colby said as I rocked Maisie, who was now sleeping soundly in my arms.

"Thank you for being patient with us." I said quietly and looked up at all of the kids. "I know this has been boring and hard but I'm grateful for all of you." I said with a small smile.

"Everything is going to get so much better for us. I promise." I said and looked over at Colby.

The decision to work with the governor was laying heavy on my mind. I wanted a lot in this world but the only thing I wanted the most was safety for the kids and my daughter.

I owed them that much.

"So did you wanna come?" Colby asked Juniper as he propped her onto his hip. "Yeah!!! Can we get ice cream?!" Juniper asked as Colby looked up at me.

"If it's okay with sissy." He said with a grin. "Only if you get some for all of us." I said and sat on the bed, snuggling Maisie.

"Of course, just text me your order." Colby said then walked over to me. "I love you." He said then leaned down and kissed me. "I love you, too." I said then looked at Juniper.

"Be good." I said as Colby kissed Maisie's head. "I'm always good." Juniper retorted with a sassy tone.

"Right." I said as Colby chuckled. "You're so right Colby said then stood up straight and looked at all of the kids.

"Think about an ice cream order, we'll be back." He said then carried Juniper out of the room.

"Can you tell us about the house?" Sam asked and bounced on the bed excitedly. "Hmmmm...it's the perfect house for us." I explained with a shrug.

"I don't know how else to really describe it. I just know you guys are gonna love it." I said and looked down at Maisie.

I couldn't wait to get settled back into a normal house. I knew there would never be anything normal about our lives though.

Colby and I both knew we weren't going to be fully safe for as long as we were alive.

We tried living a normal life.

We tried running away.

Now it was time to embrace the crime world in a way that was safe for the kids and us. I knew finding that balance would be hard.

But we would make it work.