134

"Home sweet home." Colby said as he pulled into the driveway. It was well into the night at this point so all of the kids were asleep.

"I feel bad waking them." I said quietly, looking up at the house that I missed so much.

"We can have them sleep in the car." He suggested with a laugh. "No way." I said with a sigh. "You take Juniper to bed I'll get the others up." I said quietly.

"You got it, boss." Colby said then kissed my cheek and got out of the car.

I struggled to get out of the car since I was so sore. Colby must have noticed because he was walking over and taking my hands.

"I've got you sweetheart." He said causing me to smile. "You always do." I said as he grinned and kissed me.

"You look tired." He said then pulled away so he could get Juniper. "I am. I can't wait to sleep in our bed." I hummed with excitement.

"Yeah, it's been a while." He said then pulled Juniper out of the car. "I'll meet you in there." I said then turned to the older kids.

"Psst.." I whispered then shook their shoulders one by one. "Are we home?" Sam asked groggily.

"Yeah, you guys can leave your stuff in the car. We'll get it tomorrow." I said as they all slowly sat up, their faces filled with tired features.

"Yayyy." Jenna mumbled, looking up at the house. I could tell they were all excited to be here but they were just so exhausted.

We all made our way inside and tour respective rooms. I decided to walk around the house though before going to Colby and I's room.

I walked around the house with my hand rested gently on my belly.

I couldn't believe that in just a couple months we would be bringing out baby home to this house.

We have been through so much in the past few years and it finally felt like we would get our happily ever after.

We were finally going to have our family that has been in the works for so long.

When I lost our first baby and Colby left me I thought I would never be happy. I thought I would never get to have a kid or have a family of my own.

But here we were, over a year later and with our very own daughter on the way.

When I walked into the kitchen I felt my heart sink. I forgot that the last real time we were here the kids were being held at gunpoint.

We never got around to fixing the kitchen so there was blood and the evidence of violence displayed everywhere.

"Hey. You okay?" Colby asked as I nodded, chewing my lip with worry as I looked around the messed up kitchen.

"Yeah." I said as he sighed and wrapped his arms around me. "No you're not." He hummed. "I don't like that they got involved." I said quietly, looking at the chair Jenna was shot in.

"Who? The kids?" He asked as I nodded. "They could have died, Colby. It would have been all my fault." I said and turned to look at him.

"Hey, let's not think about what could have happened. You have been so brave throughout all of this and I'm incredibly proud of you. A lot of things could have happened, but none of them did." He said then kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry for shooting you." I said quietly, looking into his eyes. "And I'm sorry I choked and fought you....and pretended to stab you." He said as I nodded.

"I wanted you to do it. I just wanted you to be safe." I said quietly. "I'm safe. And so are you, my darling." He said then kissed my head.

"I'll get the kitchen cleaned up and fixed tomorrow. For now let's get you to bed." He said then took my hand.