41

I frowned, looking at the phone that just disconnected Colby from me.

I knew that Colby has been a little on edge, but that phone call I was extremely strange.

Part of me thought he was lying when he said he was okay, because I knew he was in the infirmary.

I didn't know if he was being standoffish because Austin answered my phone but I could see the jealousy raging behind his eyes when I took the phone from Haley.

Colby had nothing to worry about as far as Austin came. I didn't even really invite Austin and Haley over, since I haven't been feeling very good but they stopped by on their own.

They were going out and I declined for the millionth time so they brought some dessert for me and the kids.

It was honestly so sweet that they saw I was struggling and wanted to at least stop by and say hi.

"Everything okay?" Austin asked as I nodded. "Yeah, everything is fine." I said and painted a smile on my face.

"You sure? Your boyfriend looked kinda pissed when he answered the phone." He said as I nodded.

"He gets jealous, but he's fine." I said then sat on the couch.

"He has literally nothing to worry about, look at him." Haley said and gestured to Austin.

"That's like comparing broccoli to a brownie." She said causing Austin to laugh.

"Wowwwww, thank Haley." Austin grumbled. "What?! You know I love you." Haley said then gave him a hug.

"Whatever. We should be heading out since Kate is gonna be off soon. Are you sure you don't want to come?" Austin asked as I shook my head. "I don't like to leave the kids on their own." I said with a sigh.

"Understandable. When Robert comes back you can have him watch the kids and you can go out with us." Haley said with a smile.

"Yeah. Have fun and call if you need a ride home. No drunk driving." I said and walked them to the door.

"You got it, mom." Haley said then gave me a hug. "See you tomorrow." Austin said as I shook my head.

"I'm off until Monday." I said as he sighed. "Alright, see you Monday then." He said as they both left.

I was so glad that I was going to be off for the weekend because I was beyond exhausted.

"Are they gone?" Sam asked as I turned around. "They're gone. You didn't have to hide ya know." I said and ruffled his hair.

"Yeah, Carter was letting me hang out with him and his friends." He said as I smiled. "Well, that's nice of him." I said with a sigh.

Tonight was the night that I kept my promise. Jenna had her friend Santana over for a sleepover but Karli's mom said no because she hated me.

Carter had his two friends over to sleepover too, which made me nervous because that meant that the ratio of adults to kids was one to seven.

If something were to happen, I don't know what I would do. "Well, since you came down first you get your pick at a dessert." I said and led the way to the kitchen.

"Where did you get desserts from?" Sam said as I grabbed the box of treats.

"I don't know. My coworkers brought it over." I said opened the box. Inside was different types of cookies and cakes.

I didn't really understand why my coworkers would bring something so nice over but I wasn't one to accept love easily.

After everything that's happened in my life, I had a very large wall up. I didn't understand how these people I hardly knew could care about me so much.