Chapter 1

Selene's POV

Have you ever wondered what it feels like to be buried alive? How terrifying and torturous it could be like. When all your lives and memories come flashing through your eyes and you realize soon enough it will all be over. When your mind starts to wander and you begin to think about all the things you will never get to do again.

You start to feel like you're slipping away, and you know that death is inevitable as the pain pierces deeper than you could bear, yet you can't open your mouth to scream.

This was the same nightmare I go through once every month, buried under the confinement filled with wolfsbane potion mixed with silver. Being buried in this sizzling chemical as a werewolf was a horrifying experience that can induce a sense of dread in even the bravest souls.

It was an ordeal that involved being trapped in a small, confined transparent box with little to no room to move. The darkness and the silence can be suffocating, and the only thing that can be heard is the sound of one's own breathing.

It was an ancient way to kill any werewolf who betrayed their pack, but the difference with mine was that they wouldn't allow me to die in it before pulling me out, bruised and badly wounded.

In there, as you try to struggle out, you realize that your body is trapped by the weight of the consuming pain slicing through your skin, pressing down on your chest and making it hard to even breathe, and you start to feel yourself suffocating because each breath under the fluid was another form of torture as you end up allowing the chemical into your body.

It was another full moon, six months after the last one, and I was going to face that anguish again. This cruel torture was suggested by the heartless pack Luna, a second chance mate to the Alpha, who claimed it was the only way to render me weak and prevent me from using my vampire powers to bring destruction to the pack, and it hurts so much to see the Alpha believe everything she says.

I sat on the cold, hard ground of my small bedroom, knees pulled up to my chest, as I listened sadly to the cheering and happy chattering voices coming from the other side of the thin walls, along with the sounds of cutlery hitting against each other.

The Alpha, Luna, and Betas were all eating, and I had to wait till they were done so I would scavenge on the leftovers like dog, that is if there were any remains, but my greatest fear was having to face the wicked Luna while packing the plates after they are done eating.

It was always her chance to maltreat me, always looking for a way to hurt me, which was something I found hard to understand because she wasn't even there when I transformed to a vampire on my birthday. I did no wrong to her particularly yet she abhorred me deeply.

Why does she hate me so much?

A question I keep asking myself.

It had been a year since the Alpha found her as his second chance mate after he lost his first mate in a battle with the rogues and I had suffered more terribly in her hand than I had in the hand of everyone for the last two years since that horrible birthday of mine.

I hissed as my stomach grumbled in hunger, tortured by the aroma of food from the dining room.

I don't know why they had to give me a room close to the dining room. I guess it was another form of suffering, allowing me to wallow in the appetizing aroma of those dishes, of which I would barely have more than three spoonful.

"When are we meeting our mate?" my inner wolf threw the question at me as if I were a seer.

"We are 19, and our scent is clear. When he comes nearby, he will find us. We will also get his alluring scent, and you know what that means?" I smiled, leaning on those same fantasies that had only taunted me.