Chapter 21

Selene's POV

A continuous knock on my door jolted me out of my sleep as I snapped and sat up in a rush, rubbing my eyes and looking around frantically as I listened again to be sure the knock was actually on my door.

I wasn't used to it. It was weird for anyone to seek permission before entering my room, as they all barged in anytime and anyhow.

The knock came again, and I quickly left the bed and scurried to the door to open it for whoever it was, and my brows gathered together in surprise when I saw the so-called girlfriend of my mate standing at the door step with a tray of food in her hand.

"May I come in?" She breathed, smiling abruptly, as if it were forced.

"This place isn't the dining room. Why bring your food here to eat?" I questioned but she shook her head.

"I brought the food for you. It is yours. I guessed you might be hungry because I didn't see you join us in the dining room when we ate earlier. You had been inside this room since, so I decided to get food for you." She explained, walking in and dropping the food on the table before sitting on my bed.

"Are you suddenly being nice to me? The world doesn't work that way. Even the slap I gave you hadn't fully healed yet, and you are here bringing food for me. Stop joking, please." I shut the door, folding my arms as I stood a few meters away, staring straight at her.

"Are you eating or not?" She asked, a question that made my stomach grumble and my heart skip a beat. The aroma of the food was already filling my nostrils and battering my stomach, forcing it to churn in hunger. The fear of seeing her take the food away was really hitting hard on me because I was damn hungry at the moment.

"If you're afraid I poisoned it, push those silly thoughts away from your mind!" She shrugged, scooped a spoonful of the rice, and ate.

I swallowed hard, craving so badly, but why was she doing this? We aren't friends at all. We are sheer enemies. She was the girl my fated mate chose over me and who hurt me for laying my hand on her. How would she be here, bringing food for me?

"I don't understand what is happening. Do you want us to be friends?" I muttered in confusion as I stared at those beautiful but deceitful brown eyes that seemed to hold some secret.

"My name is Helen, and you?" She smiled as she asked.

"I am Selene." I stuttered.

"Alright, please come and eat first. I have something to discuss with you so you don't keep being confused." She shrugged, and i could read the surprising look on her face when I sped over and pounced on the food hungrily, devouring it as if my life depended on it.

Just a few minutes later, the plate was left without any rice. I drank the water and belched in satisfaction, feeling refreshed and full.

With a bright smile, I spun to face her on the bed, where she sat beside me.

"Thank you so much for the meal. It meant a lot." I chirped, licking my lips as I grinned, turning fully toward her until we were both facing each other on the bed like friends, our legs entwined like monks.

"I told them I needed to eat again, and that was how I got another portion of food to bring for you. You are badly treated here." She sighed.

"What do you want from me? What do you want me to do because it's clear I owe you now."

"Okay, I'm sorry for the first impression I caused when we met. I'm sorry for whatever wrong I did to you. Like, I slapped you first when he was your mate and not mine. I was being a stupid bitch, and now my eyes are clear because two mates are meant to be together, and it's foolish to try bringing them apart between them." She began, and I only peered at her beautiful face while her words rolled out.