Chapter 62

As we all walked through the pathway, heading to the royal packhouse, I could see posters of my face stamped on walls and tagged as demon. Different captions label me as a demon who killed people yesterday.

It was just so unbelievable and felt like a dream. I was finding it hard to believe all these things were happening in reality.

The alarm bell echoed through every corner of the pack, igniting so much fear in everyone as they took to their heels, screaming more and pointing fingers at me. Jaden and Jake found a way to get hold of some of these people running, and there was this shock written all over their faces while returning.

Joy just held my hand, also unable to say anything.

"What is their reason for all this drama?!" I couldn't help asking as soon as Jake and Jaden caught up with us.

"They said you appeared last night and killed a hundred of them, both old men and women and little children. When your foster father came out to stop you, you lunged at him and slit his throat. There was blood shed last night, and it was you. They claimed to see you," Jaden poured out, his face twisted, and Jake only nodded as that was the same answer he had gotten.

 Chills of fear ran down my spine, and I felt my heart beating so fast and hard as everything began to jumble in my head as my legs stumbled back in confusion.

"I was with you last night." I breathed, tears forming in my eyes, as I saw the little children who were once playing joyfully taking to their heels too, falling, stumbling, and rising to run again with so much fear in their eyes, as if they had come face to face with a monster who was about to eat them up.

"Yes, you were with me, so that wasn't you. But yesterday night you were having trouble sleeping. It was a nightmare. Does what you saw in your dream relate to what's happening now?" He asked calmly, holding my shaky palms and squeezing them soothingly.

I was trembling because my heart couldn't contain living a life with someone else impersonating me and doing evil in my identity.

Jaden mentioned the nightmare, and I shut my eyes, thinking thoroughly about what I dreamed of and if there was any connection. Then it hit me.

"It was a massacre. I dreamt of someone destroying both my people and your people, but when I tried to help, they ran away, pointing at me as the killer even when I was only there to help. They won't show me who was spilling their innocent, as they believed it was me." I moaned in sadness.

"This is the handwork of Laura! She is working for the demons and might have some way of knowing about your new powers. She is doing this to prevent you from fighting them!" Joy spoke out in anger, her fists clenched tight and tears brimming in her eyes. 

"Come and show me who that Laura is!" Jaden roared, his tone so menacing and dangerous that it was able to send chills down my spine. I had never seen him this enraged before.

"She is the lu..." I was still trying to explain when he held both me and Joy and then sped towards the royal castle.

We got to the front of the gate, and it was locked with a very big key and chain.

A familiar voice from the microphone speakers came in.

"Go back, you evil monster! Go away from us! The blood of those innocent people will be on your head and seek vengeance on you till you die. Evil girl. Demon!" 

I wasn't angry all this time, but as I heard this voice spitting lies on me and realized immediately that it was from Laura, Anger burned in my veins like liquid fire, spreading from my chest to the tips of my fingers.