Chapter 40

Jaden's POV

"I can't recognize you anymore, and the more I stare at you, the more I wonder if you are my son. What had come over you? I don't want to believe whatever the shaman said until I hear from you. Jaden, tell your mother what is going on!"

The silence and tension that had lingered in the hall were finally broken by my mother's emotional voice, which sounded like she was about to cry.

She appeared so heartbroken, as if I had done something strange and dreadful. My father was shaking his head in regret and sadness; those dark eyes of his were peering intently at me, and I couldn't even find words to say.

A quick glance around, and I could see all the people gathered, leaving me a bit confused even when I expected it.

"Why are all these people gathered here? I hope it isn't about me?" I frowned, letting out a silent hiss, and the grimace in my father's face deepened. His fists balled tightly, and I could hear his sharp and rough breath of anger from where I stood. He was looking at me dangerously—the kind that could make anyone go down to their knees in terror.

But I was the last person to get scared. He is the vampire king, and I am his son. He won't dare lay his finger on me.

"It seems you aren't aware of the consequences of what you are doing. The last time it happened was four years ago by a knight, and at the end he was hung in the middle of the village square by those werewolves after he had been lured to help them kill a lot of vampires! Do you know the punishment waiting for you?" One of the vampire elders said something to me, and I turned my gaze at him.

"Tell me the punishment and be brief." I smirked, and there were sounds of puffing and huffing from different corners. I knew if it was in their power, they would have pounced on me and shredded my body to pieces at that moment.

"You will...."

"Stop!" My father broke in, stopping the elder from saying anything as he glared furiously at me.

"Are you trying to make a joke out of this matter? Do you think the noble men, councilors, knights, and elders all gathered here for a joke?" He growled, his eyes growing darker as they pierced me.

It was just a few minutes past 9:00, and I should still be in bed after sleeping very late last night. It was almost dawn when we got back home. Jake and I were able to sneak in unnoticed as our clothes were torn and our hair was messed up with some deep wounds that have yet to heal completely.

If anyone had seen us, it would be known that we fought a deadly battle that could have taken lives. Dad won't even wait for me to come out of my room before sending the guards to come fetch me for questioning. If only he knew that yesterday would have been the last day of my life.

I escaped death through the eye of the needle. It was a slip, all thanks to one person, Selene. She sent her friend to save us, and the most interesting part was the connection between the girl and Jake. We hadn't talked about it, but I knew him well enough to know he had found someone who caught his attention for real.

He was seated among the other spies who went with him last night.

"Okay, what are this man and his family doing here?" I scoffed, gesturing at the ruler of the Draken clan sitting at the side with his queen and daughter.

I won't mind him coming, but why would he bring his daughter along? Are they really trying to force her on me or what?

"We were invited. My daughter insisted on coming, as she couldn't believe you would jilt her for a werewolf girl." The man responded, and I almost puked as I tilted my head at the blonde-haired young girl who was sitting there, dressed and primped like someone going on a first date.