Chapter 69

My heart was thumping hard and fast inside my chest in excitement as I tried to control my smile at the thought of setting my eyes on Jaden again after all these days. It hadn't been long since we last saw each other, but it felt like a century to me.

What made me so giddy the most was the fact that Selene was out of the picture. I don't need a soothsayer to know that because Jaden holds his family higher in priority than anyone else. Just the single thought of Selene hurting his mother was enough to break up any kind of feelings, attraction, or love he claimed to have for her.

I have just a few minutes to sneak into his room and get a glimpse through the window. All thanks to the demon magic, which gave me the ability to move like wind and pass through before anyone could notice, and luckily, I had lived here long enough to know the right route to follow in order to see Jaden.

Even his voice and scent are stuck in my head, so I definitely know exactly where he was. Without wasting any more time, I dashed into the royal castle, flying over the fence.

My heart was racing, not out of fear of being seen. It's just that I had no idea what to actually expect inside here.

My eyebrows furrowed as I couldn't get a trace of his scent inside the building. From the corner where I hid, there was no sign of him, but what baffled me the most was that I was getting a hint of werewolf scent in this place.

I swiftly knocked out more guards in secret and made my way further into the hallways and rooms in search of my love. The man I was ready to die and kill for—Every sacrifice I was making was for us to be together, which I know was what fate wanted, but Selene was using spells to bring problems.

Every wolf scent I kept perceiving was none of my business, as all I craved was to set my eyes on him, but it seems he wasn't anywhere inside the building, not even in his room or his mother's room.

Fuck!

I cursed under my breath, seeing that I had no time anymore. I was losing hope when a single thought crept into my mind. I really attempted to shove it away because that should be the last thing I could imagine.

The only place remaining to check was the love garden building in the backyard, a special place beautified with fascinating flowers built by his father for him in anticipation of the day he would fall in love. 

It was a place he was only going to enter when his cold heart had been melted, and it would be with the woman after his heart, so you see why that place is the last place to think he would be. 

It is only expected for me and him to enter there, as the woman is already betrothed to him.

I tried walking away, but my heart was restless, urging me to check. I hesitated for a few seconds before deciding to only have a peek and sniff to see if he was there.

"What!" The sharp gasp escaped my lips, and my eyes squinted in disbelief. I had jumped in through the fence since there were bodyguards at the gate, and the next thing my nostril caught was his clear scent, which meant he was here.

I couldn't just believe as my heart thumped harder and faster, as if it would break out of my ribs. Sweat formed on my forehead, and my eyes blinked out tears. I kept swallowing lumps in my throat; my head hazed as pain found its way into my heart as I traced the scent.

I almost fainted when I also caught the feminine scent, and to my dismay, it was that of a vampire, which means he was with another Vampire. In just a few days, he had forgotten about me and found a vampire for himself.

The tears I was fighting back fell freely; my heart shattered in pain as I hastened my steps, feeling anger and frustration eat me deep.

So I made him turn away from Selene, only for him to choose another girl who wasn't me. I committed these sins and evils for nothing.

Huh?

As I got closer, I was ready to pounce on her. Since I had Selene's face, I planned to kill the girl with all the demonic powers in me. I will never allow Jaden to be with another woman.

"Here she comes!" The voice of Selene banged into my ears like a nightmare as I watched in confusion, both of them stepping out from wherever they were, hands clasped together and lopsided smiles on their faces, as if they already knew I had been here all this time.

I couldn't believe my eyes, staring with my mouth agape, wondering if this was real. I sniffed, and for real, the vampire scent was also emitting from Selene's body, just like every other royal vampire like us.

My eyes drifted to the side of her neck, and my greatest nightmare became a reality as I saw the mark right there. Jaden had marked her as his mate, and they had already bonded.

"We know this is Ceiline, even when you have my face. I sensed you the moment you came into the kingdom, and we both intentionally lured you here to talk to you." Selene spoke with such confidence and pride, as if she were a queen holding great authority.

When she walked closer, her stride was graceful with an unspeakable aura, far from what she was the last time I saw her.

I moved my eyes to Jaden, and he had this fierce look, sending me a warning beyond words.

My head began to ache, and everything seemed to be spinning around me. I just couldn't grasp the whole situation as it glared at me how much I had been a loser all this time.

"Ceiline, your parents are dead. Just to get at me, the demons butchered them." Selene dropped the words that struck me like lightning as my legs stumbled back.

"What?" I gasped, breathing heavily as I prayed and hoped she would say it was a joke, but I didn't hear that. 

Is this the reason the demon king hadn't mentioned anything about my parents? I was lied to? They said they were going to keep them alive. They excluded them from those to be killed. Why betray me?!?" I shrieked, falling to my knees, tears flooding my eyes as my heart tore into pieces, pain washing through me aggressively.

"I warned you not to trust them, you know?" A voice that I could recognize chipped in, and I turned to see that it was that woman tied with me in that room. 

"No, no, no, Selene, you must be lying!" I yelled furiously, clawing the ground as I gritted my teeth and shook my head, trying to contain the grief that was eating me deep into my marrow.

"Don't call my wife a liar. Go and confirm it yourself. Or return to your demons, as I can see you're one of them now. Just know I won't spare you when we ambush your clan!" Jaden spoke for the first time, his voice cold and threatening.

I felt wasted. 

Hearing Jaden call Selene his wife, gearing Selene telling me my parents had been killed by the demons I trusted and thought were a team with me, realizing I had been used all this time while losing everything at the end...

The rush of regret and sadness that overwhelmed me was unbearable. I stood up to leave, but the guilt was consuming every part of me as I wondered what my life was all about now.

I began to hear the voices of demons calling my name. It seems they were scared to come in here, as I sensed them lurking outside.

"If you don't change your ways, I will kill you and your fellow demons. Send a message to Laura and tell her her time is limited. Good bye." Selene warned me with a cool smile; there was no trace of fear or meekness in her anymore, like before.

With a broken heart, I ran out, my tears splattering over my face. I made a mindlink connection with my parents, doubting what Selene said, but it wasn't responsive, showing that what she said was really true.

I had been betrayed.