Chapter 25

"We women sometimes hide the deepest pain we feel with words and calm faces while it destroys us inside. Selene is like a thrash can who would have been dead since if not for that curse." I shrugged without giving much thought to what he said. 

Selene might have acted like she was a badass, but I'm pretty sure she would be praying to never face the nightmare of rejection. But I am going to make sure my son does not only reject her but also make her life hell on earth, and she won't be allowed to accept the rejection so the pain would crush her more and more.

"I hope you are right." He smiled cynically and gazed at me, his eyes scrutinizing my face as if he were searching for something.

"Now, are you going to tell me why you want Selene dead so badly? Why is it a must that she die? What connection do you have with her, and what will you achieve from her death?" I blurted out all the questions that had been pestering my mind, praying he would give me an explanation. 

I really needed to know because it was all fishy, especially when it was a desire from the crafty and evil demon king.

"Telling you my reason is not part of the deal. I created a fake mate scent for you to bond with the Alpha so you'd become the Luna, which had been your greatest heart desire. You didn't tell me your reasons for wanting to be the Luna, so why expect me to tell you mine?" He smirked, his eyes and voice reeking with evil and deceit.

"Fine. I still have six months to get it done, so please stop visiting me. Stay far away from me till then, please!." I snorted in annoyance while he chuckled and took a step closer while I made three steps backward.

"You really hate seeing me?" He asked with a wry smile that made me scoff really hard. 

"We are still fatal enemies, and you clearly don't even deserve to live. I wish that great war had ended you totally. Every living creature is against your existence, so you live in the desert with your crew, hiding in caves after being spared for your promise to be of good behavior. I am very ashamed and angry to have to make a deal with you. It's only a few months and we will depart, so stop acting like we are suddenly friends!" I retorted disdainfully at him, hissing so loudly that someone outside could possibly hear.

"Wow, that's a really long and touching sermon. It's been long since anyone talked to me that long." He laughed undisturbed, and I really felt that strong urge to smack his face very hard.

"An asshole like you should not be feeling that it is normal to stand here with me. You're the demon king, and I am the prestigious Luna of this great and well-known pack. I'm really doing you a favor. We shouldn't have met in the first place, and I can't wait to get your request so I won't owe you anymore and we will go our separate ways! You irritate me!" I seethed in sheer annoyance, feeling the wolf spirit in me triggered by his demon scent. 

I hissed again, turning over to the door as I wished I was able to slaughter him there. Werewolves can't stand demons without killing them instantly. The flashbacks of every evil they did to us could never be erased from our minds, and I felt like attacking him right there, but he has the power to destroy my perfect life as the Luna. He could expose me, and everyone would find out I wasn't the real mate to the Alpha.

As I took a few steps to the door, I paused.

He had been silent for a few minutes, so I was forced to glance back at him, thinking he might have vanished somehow, but he was still there, standing still with his snake eyes exuding a really foreboding glint while his lips curled into a sardonic smirk. But either way, he was really calm, like someone who had everything planned.

"I am leaving." He finally uttered with a flash of a lop-sided smile as he made his way to the mirror, both hands in his pockets like a peaceful gentleman as he vanished into it, yet I knew vividly that there were a lot of secrets he was hiding, and one of them was why he wanted Selene dead, but there was absolutely nothing to be scared of.

If not for this ancient mirror, he wouldn't be able to enter here, as he had been forbidden by the moon goddess.

He is the demon king, once mighty and undefeatable, driven by unimaginable dark powers beyond anyone's understanding. He was once such a god in our eyes that everyone trembled at his feet and bowed in his presence. 

His prowess shook the world far back in those past years, and yes, he was once a werewolf like us until greed took over his sense of reasoning. He chose the wrong path. The path of darkness—the path to a pact with the devil.

He became the villain, and our lives were all threatened. Many became his followers and were also given a share of his dark magic. 

All that is in the history book and is told as folktales and legendary tales to children because, at this moment, the demon king has turned into a puppet, so powerless and weak that he won't be able to kill the weakest of all wolves.

All his powers had been drained out, and not a single one of his followers could fight anymore. They are just like mere humans cast away in the desert to live in caves and meditate on the evil things they did, living the rest of their lives practicing to become good creatures again.

All magical creatures and shapeshifters like us joined forces to destroy them after their vileness and cruelty became really unbearable.

We had all forgotten them, as it had really been so many years since they stopped existing in our world, but I knew he was the only one I had to meet to create a fake bond. He has it as part of his inner energy, so it wasn't sucked out like other of his dark powers.

I know it was really wrong to make a deal with the demon king, but given how weak and powerless he is, I won't get into any trouble. He was able to fetch me the magic ring, which gave me the fake mate scent that made me Luna. I will just get his heart's desire, which is forcing Selene to kill herself.

"That's all, right?" I asked myself rhetorically, as my heartbeat had suddenly increased and was racing. Something doesn't seem right.

"Only if we know the reason why he wants Selene dead..." My wolf muttered under her breath, and I sighed.

"We can only know when Selene dies. After all, everyone in this pack wants her dead, so it's not a big issue." I shrugged and stepped out of my inner chamber with my usual blissful smile.

It was getting dark as the sun had set. Soon, the party would start, so I would have to talk to my children about how important it is that they make Selene regret every single second of her life.

******

"Pack everything that is yours in this room and get out of my sight. Out of this mansion and back to that slum you call a house. I don't want to see you in the next minute, or I will break your neck, I promise!" 

I heard my son yelling at the same girl he introduced to me and his father as his girlfriend. There was real anger and disdain in his eyes and tone, and he didn't even notice me walk into the room.

"I swear. I did my best. I convinced her totally, and she was already taking her bath to meet you....." The shivering girl spluttered, trying to explain.

"And what? How did she end up disagreeing? What the hell are you trying to explain after a sheer failure to do just a simple assignment? What is your use to me in the first place?! What the fuck should I use you to do?!" He snarled menacingly, gripping her neck tight and glaring right in her eyes while she stood still, begging him to free her with slurry words and teary eyes.

"I'm very sorry. I will try again. I..."

"Huh?...try again? When? It's nightfall already, bitch!" He shouted in frustration, releasing his grip and slapping her so hard that her face snapped to the left while she held her cheek and whimpered in pain.

"I almost succeeded in bringing her to have sex with you, but ..." The poor girl sobbed silently, blinking in tears.

"But what?" He cut in angrily.

"Something... something...went wrong...that girl..that girl named Selene did something...really strange...she isn't normal..." I heard her sputtering, and a rush of shivers ran down my spine as I recalled the demon king's request.

Was I wrong about Selene's identity?