Chapter 36

My eyes glimpsed Jake, and he was motionless, and the horrifying thought of his death wreaked havoc in me, forcing my lips apart as I attempted to scream his name, but all that came out was a gasp with another wave of pain.

Just at that moment, I began to hear running footsteps. At first, I thought it was those hunters coming for us, but sooner I realized it was one person, but I couldn't raise my face to see who it was.

I fought against the paralysis that threatened to consume me, every muscle straining with a desperate yearning for escape. But my body betrayed me, my limbs were weak and unresponsive, robbed of their usual strength.

"Oh, no!!" I heard her gasp as she drew closer.

"Please don't hurt me. Selene sent me to give you both the antidote." She muttered nervously, and the next minute I felt her push a pill inside my mouth.

As the bitter taste of the antidote spread across my tongue, a glimmer of hope flickered within me. I swallowed the elixir, feeling it course down my throat. It was as if a surge of vitality pulsed through my veins, pushing back against the suffocating grip of the poison.

Rapidly, the searing pain that had consumed me flushed away, replaced by a tingling warmth that washed over my body.

Strength returned to my body, so I opened my eyes wide and jumped to my feet, only to see Jake had also healed and was standing already, but he wasn't even looking in my direction and didn't seem to notice my presence as his eyes were fixed on the young girl who just saved us. 

Joy's POV

The world seemed to come to an end, with everything vanishing like a whisp of smoke, leaving just me and him as our eyes locked in a magical way.

All sounds faded and the world seemed empty as every part of my being was drawn towards the hazel-eyed man in front of me, and I could feel the thumping in my heart so fast like it was in a race.

He was neither smiling nor frowning, and I couldn't read what was in his mind, but he wouldn't stop staring at me.

"What's going on here?" A voice from behind broke in, and we both flinched at the same time, looking away as if we were just realizing how long we had been gazing at each other without saying anything.

"Nothing. I was just wondering who she is and why she saved us." He breathed, his voice deep and calm, sending some kind of warmth down my spine as I was forced to move my gaze back at him only to catch him stealing a glance at me too. We both looked away again.

"I said Selene sent me to give you both the antidote.... She..." My voice caught in my throat as the chattering voices and chants from a crowd were heard approaching us.

"They are here to take you both!" I gasped, my eyes dilating as I glanced back frantically.

"We can easily find our way back home from here since the poison has dissolved. You just saved my life." He spoke to me again, this time with his voice dripping with an extraordinary calmness and his eyes filled with different emotions.

I couldn't help smiling as my cheeks blushed, feeling the rush of excitement spreading around my body. 

"My name is Jake, Jaden's friend. And you?" He introduced himself with a beam gracing his handsome face. 

"My name is Joy. I am also Selene's friend." I responded, grinning and trying to compose myself and not melt under his sexy charm. 

"That explains why I feel so much joy right now." He chuckled, and my eyes became wet as I laughed and blushed harder, covering my mouth with my palm.