Chapter 13

"That girl had stayed longer than any werewolf survival limit. I think they want her dead this time. She will only stay alive for two hours after being brought out before giving up the ghost. I just don't understand why they blame her for what you did. Do they suspect her to have vampire powers?" Jake's voice rang in my head like a bell, sending cold shivers down my spine as goosebumps spread through my skin.

"Are you sure she isn't the girl you saved? You seemed so concerned. Like, it's written all over your face." Jake added, his brows creasing in curiosity.

I ignored him totally, my eyes fixed at the stage where everyone, including the Alpha, was totally absentminded already, forgetting that someone was inside that box. The Luna was the only one that kept glancing at it with a secret smirk playing on her lips as she made sure to keep the Alpha busy with her chitchat and continuous drinking.

It was after the scream that they all turned in shock, realizing that they had kept someone in such a hellish place for up to 30 minutes.

"Release her!!!" The alpha thundered, fear written all over his face as he breathed heavily, watching the men bring out the poor girl, who was already motionless and had no difference from a lifeless body.

"Is she dead?" He exclaimed, and the whole crowd went into chaos, murmuring among themselves, scared to the core.

When she was pulled out, her body was exuding steam, and her skin was pure red, sore, and blistered in some parts.

"Her heart is still beating..." One of the bodyguards replied to the Alpha, and he turned to the doctors that had rushed up the stage to take her away.

"Will she survive?" He asked them, panicking as his eyes peered at the body of the girl, which was carefully laid on the stretcher. It was evident in their eyes that they were very scared of her death, as if something evil would happen to them, but what I don't get is why they would torture her terribly while they didn't want her to die.

She was rolled away, and only the head doctor stayed back as he let out a deep breath of uncertainty, his eyes dimming as he flicked his gaze from the alpha to the entire crowd gathered.

"Alpha, it will be a miracle for her to stay alive past 2 hours." He finally replied, his voice loud and clear enough for everyone to hear, and I could see how the alpha cringed, his feet stumbling back as he placed his hand on his head.

An uproar arose from the crowd's noise and clamoring as the festival of joy, merriment, and excitement turned into a sorrow ground. The response from the doctor made everyone go wild as they cried to the Alpha, yelling that they didn't want to be placed under a curse.

"We don't want to die off!"

"Who knows the suffering that would befall us from this?! An eternal curse! How are we going to survive?!"

"Why did you leave her in there for so long?!"

"We will be consumed by our own hatred! Alpha, please, she should not die. Protect us!"

These were the words I kept catching from different lips as the women wailed and screeched while the men groaned. I was confused. Jake was less concerned, and the third guy with us was the only one serious about what we came here for, as he blended and kept checking on their security level at every point.

"Hey, you don't seem disturbed. Her death will bring an eternal curse that will wipe us away. No one is safe, including you!" A middle-aged woman shouted at Jake, who only snorted and turned to me with a snigger.

"We should be celebrating this. Dad will be so happy to hear that his most hated pack will fall under an eternal curse, and no one will survive. Bro, the gods are on our side! We don't need to waste our energy fighting these clowns!" He whispered to me, his eyes lit and smiles all over his face.