Chapter 27

Selene's POV

As I lay on my bed in silence with just the tick-tock of the clock echoing in my head, I felt empty. My heart appeared to be missing a piece that could complete it. Sadness clouded every part of me, growing deeper and heavier for my heart to carry.

My past came flashing through my mind in cracks like a shattered mirror. I could see the good years when everything was right and good. All my years in school as a student, everyone naturally loved and treated me well. 

I was beginning to hear music and drums from the outside, which meant the party had already started since it was already a few minutes past ten and it should start by 10. No one had come here to invite me or tell me anything about the party. I didn't expect it, though. Who would want to see the face of a forbidden girl, hated by everyone for something that wasn't her fault?

It still hurts me that I killed my best friend, and every time I get a glimpse of her parents on their random visits to the Alpha, the pain grows deeper. I feel so much like a monster who should actually be locked up in a dungeon.

But it was all in the heat of my first shift. Since then, I haven't hurt anyone. I have no strength to even do that, and there don't seem to be any vampire abilities in me.

Another sigh slipped from my lips as I cuddled myself tighter, feeling the wetness in my eyes. I didn't want to cry, but the sadness won't stop. My life was getting more miserable and alarming, and I felt that if I waited for more weeks or months, I might run mad.

Whatever feelings, fondness, or attachment I had thought about having with Jaden were all sheer stupidity because it really can't work—the doctor was very right.

Either I trick and lure him into the hand of the alpha and regain trust, love, and freedom from them in return, or he does the same to prove himself to his kingdom.

If we insist on loving each other, then we will both have our heads placed on the gallows.

That's the price of such betrayal. What pains me most is the fact that my fated mate turned out to be a dickhead. What am I supposed to do, as he was even going to reject me?

I don't think I can continue living this kind of life with no future. Will I be a slave, suffering all these things till death?

"It is better to betray this pack than that vampire, who had been the only good thing that had ever happened to us. He can help us, and we can't deny how much we love him." My wolf plainly spilled what I had been burying inside my heart.

I exhaled and let out a sad chuckle.

"What if you're Jaden's fated mate? Remember, you are a mixed breed." She uttered, and it was like my eyes were opened wide. What she just said came flowing in like a spring in my deserted heart and a fresh breath of life, which brought every vein and artery in me back to full life.

"You are right!"

I sat up abruptly, a smile gracing my face as I pondered what she said.

Just then, I heard a knock on the door and a deep frown etched my face as I thought it was Helene coming again.

"It's me. Joy." I heard that tiny, gentle voice of hers, and I quickly jumped out of bed, opening the door for her hastily.

She scurried in like she was being chased, and as soon as I shut the door, she hugged me tight as if her life depended on it. I could hear her heavy and sharp breath while she sobbed silently.

"What happened?" I muttered, patting her back soothingly. She broke the hug and looked into my eyes tenderly. This was no longer the maid who gave my food to the dogs and tried to humiliate me.