Chapter 31

"The shaman, or whatever you called him, left his thatched hut and went all the way to my father's palace to tell him I had fallen in love with a shewolf." He seethed, his voice low and cold. I could sense the raging anger bubbling inside him from every word he spoke, even though he appeared calm from the outside.

"I was so shocked too. Like, I didn't expect him to do that after I told him to keep it a secret so we could resolve it. It is my fault. I took you to him." I sighed, lowering my head. 

"Hey, I need beer here." I heard him making an order, which made me look up at him.

"For me also." I said to the waiter, who bowed and left while we both returned to staring at each other.

He scoffed and clicked his tongue, his eyes fighting hard to hide his fierce anger. He was really reframing himself, and his clenched fists and teeth were evidence of how much his beast was fighting to burst out and wreak havoc on me.

"You took me to that dickhead, and now words have spread that I betrayed my family, my dear vampire clan, the people I would be ruling in no distant time. What do you think will happen next? Can you read my intention?" He whispered in a sinister voice, his eyebrows raised with a wry smirk curling up his lips.

"Here is it." The waiter arrived and announced, dropping the full foamy tumbler of beer on the table for us. 

"Thanks.." Jaden muttered as he walked away before grabbing the drink and gulping it down in a rush.

"See, it wasn't as I expected. I just wanted to help. I cared for you and wouldn't want to see you fall into her charm. You won't be able to hide your identity forever. If she ever finds out you're a vampire, you're gone. You are the prince, and if you're trapped, we will all be in danger of fighting an unprepared war, which would cost a lot of lives..."

"Can you stop whining and drink your beer? I'm almost done with mine, and you haven't sipped a drop." He cut me off, slurping the last drop of the drink. " Drink and enjoy because it might be your last time; who knows.." 

I flinched at his words as panic coursed through my veins, but I wasn't so sure he would be able to kill me.

"More here. Please make it three." He beckoned and then turned back at me with a smile as I sipped the beer with my eyes peering at him.

"Do you like villains?" He asked, his face gleaming with a smile that exuded danger. 

"No. I prefer allowing fate to take its course and not doing all sorts of evil to make what wasn't meant to happen to happen. It doesn't end well." I responded calmly.

"It doesn't always end well. In some cases, it does end well and great. It is the best strategy for success, and the good ones die at the end. Life is not a scripted movie, you know.." He chuckled sardonically, and I really couldn't say anything. All I knew was that Jaden was about to change into something else.

"What do you plan to do next? Remember, an entire kingdom is looking up to you. The throne is gradually becoming yours. Morality and obedience to the law of our land should be your top priorities." I muttered, trying not to provoke him.

"Listen. When we left that shaman's hut, I didn't head home, I went to that river in this pack to think thoroughly about all that had been happening recently in my life since the very day I set my eyes on that girl. I weighed the gain and the loss. The good side and the bad side of our relationship, and do you know what happened at the end? Do you know the decision I made?" He asked rhetorically, but I answered anyway.

"No, I don't. Tell me." 

I was anxious to hear him.

"My decision was to follow the right path and do exactly what everyone else would do, which is to kill her before I fall deeper into her arms. I met with her before coming down here to meet you. I rejected her." He paused and threw his face aside, letting out a lopsided smile.