Chapter 20

Jaden's POV

"They are having another party tonight! How possible is that? I thought they were all gloomy and should begin to suffer from whatever curses were laid on them!" A messenger ran into the royal hall and announced it to us.

We were already having meetings on how and when to attack, so this news really hit everyone like a bomb, except me, but I acted along like I knew nothing.

"What are you saying?! Are you sure?!" I yelled, my eyes widening as I clenched my fists. Dad and mom were both confused, and everyone present was glancing at Jake, me, and Stanley, the spy that went with us yesterday.

"You must be joking! What party is it?" Jake retorted strongly.

"The Alpha's children returned. A boy and girl. The party is to celebrate their return, and throughout the pack, it had been really buzzing with a lot of activities and smiles on their faces. They don't look like people under curses. We expected to see them crying from one sickness or disease outbreak this morning, but none of that happened. They are all fine and healthy!" He relayed, panting.

"Shit!" My father cursed, leaning on his chair as he hissed and exhaled, disappointment written all over his face, especially when I had been celebrated not long ago. I had been the hero and talk of the town for what I did to ensure the curse on that pack, but now this news just made everything sour.

"Someone healed that girl then. But how the hell can that happen? She stayed in that confinement longer than any normal wolf can survive; even a Lycan won't survive it!" Jake hollered, his anger and confusion evident in his eyes and tone.

"Go tell the armies end hunters to stop the intensive training and go back home." My father said to the messenger, sighing as he turned back to us.

"Either we were tricked to think the girl would bring a curse to them, so we would then attack and get caught off guard by them, or that girl was actually healed by someone, so the curse didn't erupt. Which of these two sounds more like it could possibly have occured?" He threw the question at us, his voice cold and ferocious, showing he was really in rage and was fighting to suppress it.

My heart was thumping fast and hard inside my chest. I knew I was the one, and my conscience was really throwing arrows at me. I was scared that it might be showing on my face. What if someone somehow reads my mind?

"Jaden!" A call to my name by my father made my heart drop into my stomach, but I managed to hide my fear, responding normally.

"Did you notice anything significant that could give us an answer to this puzzle? Do you think there is a great doctor who can save a dying soul?" He asked me gently, and I quickly shook my head.

"I don't think so. It's just so unbelievable," I breathed, resting my head on my palm.

"Jake!" My mother called, and he looked up at her. I could see the suspicion in her gaze.

"The pill I gave you can easily heal that girl. Did you betray us?" She asked curtly, and my head almost fell off my neck as fear struck me like lightning. My heart was now pounding so hard as if it would break out of my ribs as I fought to steady my breath.

"I can never betray this clan that has been my family and friends. This is my pill here." Jake replied, bringing it out and showing it to everyone.

"If your pill can heal her, then we should make sure everyone you gave still has...."

I began to cough before Jake could complete his statement. Everyone turned to me in concern, with my mother and father rushing to check on me. I kept coughing and coughing while they asked me what was wrong, patted my back, and offered me water, which I drank and went ahead with my cough.

"Are you sick? Call the doctor, guards!!" My father ordered

"My throat is burning..." I grunted in a croaky voice, panting as if I would lose my breath the next second.

The doctors scurried in with their stretcher, and I was placed in it, wincing and breathing heavily.

"Make sure my son returns healthy!" My father shouted at them threateningly.

"Don't be scared, buddy. I will be back later. For now, I have to leave before I'm caught," I said in my mind, and my vampire beast burst into a laugh at me.

"Keep laughing. If we were caught, you wouldn't see the mouth to laugh. Do you know how bad our lives will be when everyone finds out we betrayed them? We will end up not being the next heir and living all our lives to gain their trust. It won't be funny, bro." I hissed.

"We didn't think of all this when we were saving her. Why?" He chuckled.

"I don't know. Stop asking me questions. I have to focus!" I snapped, shutting him off as I kept pretending.

The doctors laid me on their sick bed and were about to bring all sorts of medical machines and whatever, but I sat up.

"Hey, don't stress yourselves!" I said to them, and the six doctors and three nurses who had prepared to work on me stood in shock, squinting their eyes at me.

"You aren't sick or anything?" The leader's question was barely audible, as he was still surprised.

"You all take a seat, and when it's the normal time for the treatment to be done, you all walk away while I lay here. No one must know the coughs and heavy breathing are fake. I badly needed to leave that meeting, so I pulled this stunt."

"Oh, you are really a good actor."

"Yes, I planned to be one soon. I hope you all will act along and don't rat me out." I muttered

"We dare not." They chorused, and I exhaled in relief.

"I trust you all, and I promise to increase your salaries and promote you all if you keep this a secret." I said with an assuring smile, and they all leaped in excitement, smiles all over their faces.

"We are loyal. Even without that, we won't say anything. Thanks for the gift." The leader squeaked, and I smiled back, lying gently on the bed and shutting my eyes.

It was so close. Jake almost exposed me!