Chapter 53

Jaden's POV

Night was drawing near as I sat on a big tree branch in the wood, waiting patiently for night to fall so I could hurry to that royal packhouse and keep a close eye on the building.

I don't know the strategy the knights would be using to lure her out or if they were going to sneak in. I really have no idea, but I won't take any chances. My plan was to make sure I was beside Selene in whatever way.

They will all have to walk over my corpse to get her killed because I would rather die than watch them touch a strand of her hair. I know it's a betrayal. I know it's an abomination. I clearly know I am defying the entire vampire tradition and law, but the days when I cared are gone.

Unfortunately, at this moment, I would go the extra mile for her. Even if I get banished from my Kingdom, we will find a new life together in a faraway land. As long as she walks with me, our hands clasped together, savoring the warmth and serenity of the environment, that's all that matters.

We will both be free and together. Her sufferings have to end, and that was something I would make sure of. The sadness and sorrow that brimmed in her eyes when I first saw her in the class really struck my heart.

She was like a hopeless soul looking for solace in the midst of oppressors while getting attacked ferociously. She had already been given a slave mark to depress her and take away every trace of joy left in her heart, so she would be empty and sad all her life.

Callen won't be alive to become her master and treat her as a slave. When all this is over, I will return, and this time, I won't be here to just beat him up but to pluck his heart and serve it on a platter to Selene.

Fuck them all!

I growled, feeling the heaviness of my heart as I imagined all she had gone through.

"We can't be sure of her safety till we go into that royal castle now. That's the only way we can be close to her." My vampire beast whispered, his tone so filled with care and possessiveness over Selene that I couldn't help chuckling.

This was the beast that had always triggered me to reject and go as far as killing any lady who tried to force herself on me. We grew up loathing love and hating anything related to romance or affection, and my beast part was more aggressive and dangerous over love advances. 

It sounded so funny hearing him suggest this over a girl. This makes me ponder for a minute how possible it could be, and the only thing I could guess was that Selene was our mate.

"Do you think Selene is the fated mate we thought we never had?" I asked, leaping off the tree branch.

"I can't give an answer to that because nothing points at her as one." He breathed.

"That's because we haven't checked. Remember when she urged us to do that? She was so certain we were mates that she wasn't scared to ask me to sink my fang and taste her blood. We were the ones who didn't check if she was our mate," I responded with furrowed brows.

"We have to do that. And if she is our mate, then we will mark her immediately and bring her to the King, your father. He will accept her once he sees she is the fated one." He hollered, and I could sense the bubbling excitement in his voice.

"And we also have to know why she is hated so much and blamed for any vampire activities in this pack. I wonder if she is related to vampires in any way. " I muttered thoughtfully.

Selene's POV

I was in my room feeling so troubled, yet I couldn't tell what was wrong. My heart was racing in anxiety, and I was already sweating as if I were running a marathon. It was equally hard to maintain a steady breath as the foreboding feelings overwhelmed me.