Chapter 38

Selene's POV

The two bodyguards were standing tall with both fists clenched, their muscles bulging and pumping as they both stared intently at Joy with the desire to kill brimming in their eyes.

But one thing I was so sure of inside of me was that there was no way Joy would die in front of me. I would stop them, so I tried to convince myself.

But how?

Will those vampire powers return like they did on my birthday? That was a question that kept echoing in my head and sending chills down my spine.

It is only a matter of a few minutes before these monsters will pounce on Joy. How will I stop them?

Tears rolled down my face as my breath became shallow and rough. As I peered at the Luna in fury, she ignored me entirely, even when I shouted at them. It was like my voice was only heard by myself as they went on with what they were doing without glancing at me.

Everyone in the room knew I was a weakling who could never stop them, and the Luna deliberately planned Joy's death here, in front of me, to crush me.

"Please don't kill me. Please. Why do you want to take my life? All the evil you did to me and my mother isn't enough. Why are you doing all this?" Joy shrieked at the Luna in terror and pain, attempting to crawl over and grab her leg while she was still at the door, but she couldn't move three steps further as one of the guards kicked her hard on the head, forcing her to scramble aside, crying out in pain as she held her face. 

"You chose the path of death when you accepted to be her friend!" Laura hissed, without even glancing back at her, and made her way out, snapping her finger at the guards to go on.

One of the bodyguards hurried to the door and locked it before returning. I watched them brace up like they were about to butcher an animal, their claws shooting out as they glared at Joy with red eyes of menace, pretending like I wasn't in existence.

"None of you should touch her because, I swear, I won't spare your lives!" I growled in a threatening voice as they stalked forward like predators, but it was still as if I was speaking to myself as they kept moving to the corner where Joy lay in fear, shaking her head as she pleaded and kept crying.

As they got closer, she ran to me and hid behind my back, shielding herself with my body.

"Please don't let them kill me. Please save me." She kept stuttering in tears, clasping her arms frantically around my waist as she leaned her head on my back. 

"Are you the one to save her? When you haven't saved yourself two years since your mother died." One of the men scoffed, staring at me irritatingly.

"You are lucky that you aren't dying alongside her. Fuck the curse from your whore mother; I really wouldn't mind slitting your throat if I were the Alpha!" The other with a bald head snorted; his face grimaced, emphasizing more how ugly he was.

"Remember what I did on my birthday; it can happen to you both again if you don't stay off. I'll kill you both brutally!" I tried scaring them off with this, but it made them burst into scornful laughter instead.

"We both know you don't have those powers anymore, you bastard!" 

"Being a bastard with a prostitute as a mother must be really draining your brain, little pig!"  

They hurled those hurtful words at me, piercing my heart with the pain of hearing them say all that about my dead mother. It tore at my soul, and I felt entirely weak.

"Please save me." Joy pleaded in fright, holding me tighter, but there was no way I could. That was the reality. She was even stronger than me, who hadn't made her first shift.