Chapter 16

As I sat there, numb from confusion and fright, I wondered what secret he was hiding. The glint I saw in his eyes was really suspicion. It was the glint of a first time murderer staring at the body it just killed.

I've never thought of my father as a bad man, nor has he given me any reason to doubt his love for me or my mother. I had always enjoyed my family and saw it as the best. Our home had always been peaceful, with everyone smiling all day.

But I guess I was entirely wrong and had been made to believe the mere illusions portrayed to me. The deep hatred in my father's eyes as he spoke about my mother was so evident.

There must really be something I am missing. My father knows something about what conspired between the vampire and my mother, and he really won't say it.

"We will know about that later, but for now, what do you think about Jaden?" My wolf broke in, her voice cheeky and lively. I smiled, dipping my hand into my pocket and bringing out the bracelet.

"He loves me. I saw it clearly in his eyes. That vampire is in love with me." I breathed, grinning this time as I played gently with the beautiful bracelet, smelling it and savoring the scent, which made me feel like he was here with me.

Just then, the door was kicked open, and I hastily stuffed it beneath my body as I turned to see who barged in. It was the doctor who informed Jaden and me of the Alpha's presence.

His face was filled with confusion as he peered at me from head to toe, digging his eyes all over my body.

"That vampire healed you?" He asked silently, walking closer as he adjusted his eyeglasses resting on the bridge of his nose.

"Yes, he did. He was the miracle that you were telling the alpha about." I smiled, but he only frowned more. His face was stern, and both eyes were glazing really hard.

"What else did he do? What did he say to you? How did he know about you? In fact, how the fuck was he able to enter this pack unnoticed? What relationship do you both have?" He threw all the questions at me at the same time, his eyes sparkling with suspicion as they stared straight into my eyes.

I sat up slowly and gently, making sure the bracelet slid down to my buttocks so I could comfortably sit on it.

"All these questions are not for me to answer. Who brought the vampire in here? And you seem to be on his side, as you clearly saved him from being caught by the Alpha." I retorted, and he exhaled heavily, rubbing his temple.

"See. Selene, I am not on his side. He forced me by pushing poison down my throat. I had no choice but to follow all his orders to save my life. He gave me the antidote while leaving. I really don't get why he took such a risk by coming here to heal you. Everything is still like a dream to me!" He muttered, confusion creasing his brows.

"If you stop thinking about it and push it away like it's a dream, you will be just fine. That man came in peace and left in peace. Forget it and go back to work." I said calmly, and he let out a gasp.

"Selene!" He called, and I responded.

"If you are trying to or think of falling in love, you should know better than to run away from that death trap and snap out of that illusion. Your mother is a good example. Don't tell me you didn't learn a lesson from her."

"I need to sleep." I hissed.

"You might try to hide it, Selene, but I already noticed. I saw it. I swear, I really felt the tenderness in his voice when he asked about you. He was in a haste to save you, and when I brought him in here, his first sight of you was like one who had just met his soul mate. His eyes that were cold melted and softened, and I saw as they became brighter, as if a new light was lit in them." He paused, and I frowned.

"Is that all?" I whined, longing for more, as I had already sat up to enjoy all he was saying, which gave me butterflies in my stomach and made my heart skip beats while I smiled uncontrollably.

"So what are you insinuating?!" I beamed, and he scoffed.

"The vampire's eyes, which were flinting with anger and menance, softened and brimmed with care and sheer pity when they looked at you lying on the bed. I think he has fallen for you, and that is really a great opportunity for you. You can redeem yourself with this love trap he fell into. Think about it. Imagine helping the alpha get hold of that vampire. Your life will change forever, everyone will finally believe you aren't an enemy; and your suffering will end for real. He concluded, and I hissed loudly, lying back on the bed and facing the wall.

"When you're done staying, use the door." I snorted.

"I don't want to believe you are also in his love trap. Don't be a victim like your mother. Seize this opportunity faster than him, because I'm sure he is also waiting for the right time to use it and end you just like they did to your mother." He spoke gently, advising me with a coaxing voice as if his life depended on it.

"The vampire didn't harm you, why do you want him dead?" I blurted out, feeling really irked.

"Because they all deserve to die." He seethed.

"The same way I think you all deserve to die for all the sufferings y'all are making me go through," I cursed and covered my entire body with the duvet.

On a normal day, I should have received slaps and beatings from him, but he really didn't touch me. I could only hear his grunts and growls with gritted teeth.

"If he hadn't warn me, I would have smack your face really hard. You'd rather side with a vampire than help your people. You actually deserve to die!" He seethed, infuriated.

"Oh, he warned you. Are you scared? Hit me." I laughed scornfully, and the next thing I heard were his receding footsteps.

Wow...

He just confirmed that I had found a new lover. Someone who cares for me.

*********

It was really late in the morning when I woke up from sleep right inside the hospital ward. I could tell it was a long sleep, as my whole body felt refreshed.

I felt something hard beneath me and checked to find the bracelet.

Gosh! How did I leave it there and go to sleep? What if someone had come in here and seen it?

Fuck!

I muttered and shoved it into my pocket before sitting up. Just then, two royal guards opened the door and stepped in, looking unfriendly as usual.

"Time to go home, pig" One of them snorted irritatingly.

"You can talk normally without displaying your unnecessary hatred all over the place," I retorted, and they scoffed.

"Lest I forget, the Alpha's children are back. Don't expect us to teach you that you have to visit their rooms to greet and introduce yourself to them. Let them know they have a slave under their whims. The Alpha won't spare you for even the slightest wrong done to his beloved children."

I almost hissed at the nonsense they were filling my ears with. Since these kids of the Alpha didn't stay here all their lives, I believe they have no grudges against me and won't maltreat me.

I mean, it doesn't make sense to join others in badly treating someone who did nothing to you.

But I was totally wrong. I wish these two demons weren't born into this world. I thought I had faced real pain, but with them, it was just the beginning.