Chapter 9

We were three, including me and Jake, so we just had one spy join us this night. It wasn't an official spying day, but my father doesn't want to lose any chance of finding out how to successfully destroy his enemies, especially this particular pack.

None of us knows why his hatred for them runs so deep in the core of his heart. The resentment reeks from both his eyes and voice each time he talks about them. I was sure they had done a really evil thing to him—something he would never forget and wouldn't rest till he saw their destruction.

Anytime I ask him why his hatred for them goes way deeper than for other packs, he will only grit his teeth and tell me that some day I will find out. Honestly, I don't really care.

Werewolves are our grave enemies, and that's all I know. We are born to hate them and hurt them at the slightest opportunity. It's forbidden to help or do anything good to any of them. Growing up in the royal packhouse and staying in the palace with my father gave me the opportunity to experience the brutal judgment on anyone accused of having anything to do with any werewolf, even if it was just a pup.

In school, children are taught several reasons why they should abhor the wolf kingdom. They were told tales, histories, and stories of so many wrongs and betrayals we had been struck with by the werewolves, who, according to the stories, stated that we were once friends with them.

I was among the children fed with these stories, and I couldn't hate the werewolf less. My dream had always been to help my father destroy as much as we could and also take over where he left off.

The werewolves betrayed us and caused us an eternal weakness, which brought us down the food chain, where we were once the strongest predators while others followed. Now the wolves are at the top while we are beneath them, not because they are more powerful than us.

No.

They only have advantages over us because of their numbers. A single pack of werewolves is the combination of three of the vampire kingdoms, all because they betrayed our trust and connived with the demons to attack us. That lethal war that killed so many of us, especially our women, plummeted our population, so now even with our extreme abilities and strength, the werewolves can't be defeated by us.

Now you see why we are grave enemies with those wolves. The only part of the story we didn't know was how the betrayal was done, but that doesn't matter.

I am Jaden, the son of the vampire king, and it's my duty to protect my people and make sure we take revenge on those devils who brought us down.

"You know you are going to meet her, right?" Jake whispered into my ears, and I flinched back to reality, spinning my head to face him.

We were in a cart, heading to the boundary, and the third spy with us was the one on the horse. We all had our rings on our middle fingers. A single charm that was able to clear off any single trace of vampire scent around us. Apart from the scent, nothing distinguishes us from the werewolves physical appearance when in our human form, so we had nothing else to hide.

With the ring, we can safely sneak in through the boundary guards. Our speed is so beyond their sight that they won't even know when we dash over the boundary.

"What did you say?" I asked with a frown, even when I heard him clearly.

"What will happen when you meet her again?" He breathed, staring at me with troubled eyes.

"Meet who? Did I tell you about anyone? Just shut up!" I scoffed, rubbing my face and stroking my hair gently.

"I thought deeply of it, and even as your friend, I must really tell you it won't work out. I was a bit tipsy when I told you it didn't matter. Bro, we both know...."

"Jake, there is no single girl in my heart, which you should already know. I don't do those love shit and after so many years with me, I don't expect you to ever think that some random enemy would be the one to make me fall in love. I saved her from rape just like a normal person, and that doesn't mean I won't pluck out her heart when the order is given." I blurted curtly, peering intently into his eyes as he stared back at me.

Slowly, he nodded and exhaled heavily.

"I really wish it was a vampire girl that you saved from being raped. You have come across many in dangerous situations of both rape and assault, and you ignore them and walk away." He sighed, and every single word from his mouth was just pouring down like heavy rainfall inside my head.

I closed my eyes tight, trying to shut away his voice, but I couldn't. Instead, they were echoing, and I was feeling every damn truth in them. Was it too obvious that I was feeling something special and different for that wolf girl?

"Jake, do you think I would end up falling in love with a shewolf? You think I would betray my own people and mingle with the same set of people who didn't only betray us but also brought misery and destruction to our land?" I asked calmly, looking straight at him as I waited for a response.

Maybe since he had studied me almost all his life, he would be able to give me the correct answer to this.

He took a deep breath, then drew closer to where I sat. He wrapped his arm over my shoulder and let out a smile.

"We will sort it out, but for now, let's do what brought us here. We have to scrutinize every section of the activities, the positions of the warriors, and how much it would take them to prepare for any sudden attack. We have to do this with all seriousness and bring back the best answer to the king. Okay?" He spoke gently to me, rubbing my back.

"You should go and get married already." I nudged him, snickering, and his brows arched as his eyes lit.

"Me? I don't even have any girlfriends, and for fucking sake, I am still too young for that " he laughed, and I joined.

"Your son will really need those fatherly tones you just used to advise me. At some point, I thought my father was the one speaking. One thing I want you to know is that I can't fall in love, and you see that wolf girl? There's nothing between us. If you want a proof, I can show you," I smirked, turning my face to the window.

"How do you intend to prove it to me?" He asked.

"By killing her. It won't be possible to kill anyone you're falling in love with, right? So to show you that you're just being scared of nothing and making wrong speculation, I can just lure her to a hidden corner and take her life in the brutal way I am good at." I stated bluntly, and a lopsided grin appeared on his face.