Chapter 42

"You are sorry for what?" The King snarled, his eyes flinting with anger. Since he heard of Jaden's relationship with Selene, he has always been angry. Everything infuriates him, and that relaxing and all-smiling king was gone and replaced with the grumpy and hot-headed one.

"Calm down, Honey." The queen soothed him, rubbing his shoulders gently.

"Fine." He forced a smile at her, then turned back to me sternly.

"You know how she looks much better than anyone else. I want a clean job. That foolish girl can never use charm on my son and go scot free!" He shouted, and I could only nod continuously in fear.

"I want you to join the knights in that pack and kill her." He stated it with sheer authority.

"Okay, my Lord." I replied with a bow.

"You are Jaden's best friend and can betray us for him, but I have to remind you that killing you will bring no loss on me, my family, or this kingdom because you are a nobody I picked from the dustbin and gave life to. You get it?" He bellowed, and I nodded again, swallowing the lumps in my throat.

"I just hope you don't try to act smart. My eyes are on you!" The queen added sternly and smiled at the king as both rose and stepped out of the throne.

"Tomorrow, by 10 p.m., meet the knights at the boundary. They will be waiting for you to lead them to her. You must know where to easily meet her or how to lure her out to be caught. Just make sure she is killed!" He gave the final order before leaving with his queen.

There I sat, hopelessly staring at the space as his last order echoed ominously in my head. I could feel the cold chills running down my spine.

The single thought of watching Selene die was heartbreaking, and the possibility of Joy finding out what I did consumed the deepest part of my soul. I don't know why I cared so much. I shouldn't be concerned about any wolf, as we were enemies. I had killed a lot and helped the vampire king destroy so many wolves from different packs in the past.

Selene or Joy shouldn't be different, but I don't know why my heart tugs at just the thought of them being in danger.

A deep sigh slipped from my lips as I headed out, dragging my feet along as they became really heavy for me to lift. I had never disobeyed the king, and I never dreamed of doing that one day, as I owe him and this entire royal family my life. They made me who I am, and I should forever be loyal and obedient to them.

But now, I really don't understand myself anymore because, no matter how I tried to convince myself, it still glares right in my face that there was no way I would allow anyone to take the lives of Selene or Joy. The consuming pain that Joy would go through when the knights kills Selene was something my heart can never bear. It would tear me to pieces.

No. I can't let that happen, but how will I prevent it? How will I betray the king? He will kill me, and after my death, Selene is still going to die.

Fuck!

I cursed under my breath, clenching my teeth as I felt too weak to walk, leaning on the wall along the hallway, totally exhausted. I kept hissing and grunting to myself. Everything was just battering my head, and all I wished was to wake up and realize it was all a dream.

Just as I stood there with my eyes closed, I heard footsteps and muffling cries from someone hurrying down the stairs that led to the hallway where I was. I could recognize the voice as Celine's, and it was obvious she was coming back from Jaden's room.

I wonder what harm he has done to her.

"Jake, I was running to meet you!" She shrieked, sobbing in deep sadness, as I opened my eyes and stared at her swollen face and red, teary eyes.

"Why do you want to meet me?" I asked unconcernedly, and she ran into a hug with me, holding me tight and sobbing more.

"Am I not beautiful enough?" She muffled her voice against my chest, then looked up at me when I gave no response.

"Jake!" She called in a cracking voice.

"Huh? What?" I sighed, pissed already.

"I asked you a question. Am I not beautiful and sexy enough for the prince? Why does he choose a wolf girl over me?" She moaned, more tears spilling down her face.

"You should ask him, not me." I responded curtly, and she broke the hug, taking a few steps back.

"Look at me and answer my question! Don't dare act rude to me too!" She snapped, giving me an angry look, which I don't care about. I was even getting tired of standing here and talking to her when I should be thinking deeply about how I would save Selene.

"You are beautiful and sexy enough." I stated, "Can I go now?"

She scoffed and sneered at me from head to toe.

"I will like to see that stupid shewolf that made the prince fall crazily for her. I know it's charm because she must be ugly and nowhere compared to me," she seethed. "Take me to her." She ordered me as if I were her slave.

"With your vampire scent, you will be killed before you are done crossing the boundary!" I shrugged with a frown.

"The queen will cover my scent now. I am going to meet her."

"No need for all that. You heard when the king said Selene would be killed, right? She will be in the past, and you will have Jaden all to yourself, which you always wanted.

"Will he love me when he hears that Selene is dead? Even if it will take months. Will he learn to love me? Please tell me yes!" She purred, holding my hand and waiting for my answer as if I were the heart of Jaden.

Maybe it was time to tell her the truth, though.

"Are you ready to hear the truth?" I asked, and she frowned a bit before nodding.

"Jaden will never fall in love with you. If Selene dies today, he will hate you more than anyone else. The slap he gave you just now is a warning because Selene is still alive. He..." My voice hitched in my throat as she slapped me hard in the face.

"How dare a riffraff like you talk to me like that?" She yelled, infuriated.

"I know you are backing Jaden because he is your best friend, but I want you to have it in your empty skull that I am his wife and will be the next queen. When that time comes, I will teach you a lesson you will never forget in life!" She barked while I kept quiet, allowing her to wallow in her delusions.

"Can I go now? I smiled, not at her but at her foolishness. It won't take long before she will be rolling on the ground, crying, and regretting everything she is doing.

"Get down on your knees!" She said to me in a commanding tone, and I couldn't hold back my laughter.

"Did Jaden's slap tamper with your brain? You are acting mad already!" I sneered, laughing mockingly at her, and her cheeks flushed red in embarrassment.

"How dare you?" She growled again and raised her hand to slap me, but I caught it in the air.

"I am not your slave or bodyguard, whom you can hit anyhow. I won't mind that you're a woman, and I'll deal with you mercilessly if your hand touches me again," I warned sternly while she struggled to free her hand from my grasp.

"Let me go, rapist!" She screamed, and I snickered at her stupidity.

"There are cameras everywhere. Make sure you explain how I became a rapist to you, desperate whore!" I spat and shoved her hand down before walking away angrily.

Fuck it.

This is another reason why I should save Selene's life. This spoiled bitch, Celine, can't be close to Jaden or ever sit on that throne as the queen. I will never allow that to happen.