Chapter 34

"Be alert and sense any slight movement you notice. We must not lose him!!" A commanding, angry voice roared through the silence of the night, and right there where I was hiding, I kept thinking about the next step to take.

Jumping out and fighting was the only thought I had in mind, but I knew so well that with their numbers, I stood no chance of escape. I could kill as much as I could, but eventually I would be caught, and with how evil these werewolves are, I was surely going to see hell.

Adding that I had just murdered those two bodyguards, they were sure to torture me really painfully and cruelly, but that wasn't my fear, my greatest concern was my parents. If they ever hear the news of me being caught, it would really be a big blow, especially when they begin to face all sorts of humiliation and suffering from my capture.

Have I really failed before the battle could even start? Was I stupid to sneak into the royal palace to kill those bodyguards just because they hit on Selene? 

It was all my fault, after all. I barged in without realizing they had a detector that could neutralize my scent cover. Now I had gotten stuck, and it was just a matter of a few minutes before I would be dragged out to meet the alpha, hands and legs chained.

"Fuck!" I cursed under my breath, gritting my teeth as I sadly wished the clock would rewind to the past hours before I made that decision to enter the Alpha's house. I really would have stood back there with Jake patiently without acting rashly like I just did.

But it wasn't time to regret or blame myself for whatever mistake I made.

I have to find a way out.

My heart beat faster the moment I began to hear their approaching footsteps grow louder. They were all storming together toward me, and even when I couldn't see them clearly, I was sure they had their arrows and bows with other deadly weapons, so it wasn't safe to attack because I wouldn't stand a match.

"Hey, you vampire! Don't you think it's foolish to duck in there and hide when we can smell your scent? Just come out with both of your hands raised above your head in surrender. You have just one minute, and if you stay back, we will ambush you and make sure we make you pray for quick death!" A hoarse voice snarled at me, and my heart skipped a beat.

The man was right, but just the single thought of surrendering like a weakling made me almost throw up. It was the last thing I could ever do in my life, and it was better to die than surrender to these assholes like a puppet. 

"We have to fight to the death!" My angry beast growled, kicking at me as it got ready. He was more irritated and irked than me after hearing the voice telling me to surrender.

"You are right, but I have to cover my face in case I survive. Because I am not done with them yet!" 

Slowly and cautiously, I pulled my shirt off, wearing only a singlet as I used the shirt to make a mask around my face.

"Your time remains just 10 seconds. You must be more stupid than brave to think you will have any chance of defeating and escaping tonight. If you surrender, you will only get punished, but your life will be spared, and you will return to your kingdom. But if you don't, I swear, what will be returned to your people will be your shredded body and decapitated head!" That same voice came again, threateningly.

I scoffed and felt the churning of my stomach as the wave of irritation washed through me. I wished I would be able to get hold of that dickhead saying all these, I badly want to teach him an unforgettable lesson.

"You weaklings should stop blabbering like babies and attack if you think you're brave enough. Fight and leave the talking to women and kids!" My voice retorted back at them as I braced up, my vampire powers kicking in with burning rage blazing inside me like wildfire.

"If that is what you want, then we are good." That was what I heard before I began to hear their howls drawing close. 

"We are in this together." I suddenly heard Jake's voice from behind, making me flinch as I turned sharply, only to see my friend walking towards me. His scent was still covered, so he was able to find his way to where I was without being traced, but what I don't understand is why he was here.

"Jake!" I called his name in whispers, my eyes squinting at him in disbelief.

"You think I will leave you to fight alone? No, I won't. We either lose and die here together or win and leave together." He beamed, allowing his vampire beast to take control in readiness to actually join me in this deadly fight that could be my end.

"Wow, thank you, brother. Now we have a little bit higher chance of winning." I muttered happily.

"I don't think so. They keep increasing in numbers, but we won't let them take us away like puppets. We must fight with our last blood." He patted my back, giving me that funny lopsided smile that makes me laugh, and this time wasn't different as I chuckled.

He covered his face, and together we stepped out to face the hundred hunters whose eyes were glowing red and bloodthirsty.

******

Selene's POV

"Selene! I don't know, but I think you should wake up. Please, because I'm confused and don't know what to do to help him. He was here to fight for you, to make those who put you in pain suffer, but it all went wrong! They had fished him out and were about to ambush him. I don't know if he will escape! It doesn't seem possible, even with his extreme strength!" Joy's voice rang in my head, and in an instant, my eyes flew open.

I sat up immediately, my head banging and everything spinning around me as I felt like I would pass out, but I didn't care as I darted my gaze at her in panic.

"What did I hear you say? Jaden is here and about to be caught by the hunters." I asked in panic, gasping in shock as she nodded.

"No, it can't be!" I shrieked, tears forming in my eyes as I jumped out of the bed, my weak legs trembling and every part of my body in pain that was making me dizzy, but I gave no damn, nothing mattered at that moment.

As I ran out of the ward, it was as if my legs were jelly and my head was so light that I was almost passing out, yet I kept running.

"Stop running or you will faint, Selene!" Joy hollered from behind, and at that moment, I heard the loud howls of many wolves, signifying the beginning of battle, and I knew well that it was a battle against the love of my life. They were about to kill Jaden.

Joy caught up with me and grabbed my hand quickly.

"Calm down. We should think and not act rashly, or we will end up in big trouble!" She said to me softly, but my head was hazy.

"Where is he? Please do one favor for me. Go and get the antidote. I know they will strike him with their poison arrow. I beg you, go into Luna's cabinet and steal the antidote for me. Jaden must not die!!" I cried, my lips shivering, as the face of Jaden stuck in my head with a heartbreaking warning that I might never see him again.

Those hunters are so wicked and merciless to vampires that they are ready to all die rather than allow him to leave alive.

"Oh God, Selene, if I am caught, they will put me to death!" She moaned, scared, as her palms became sweaty and her breath was sharp and shallow.

"Okay, tell me where it is. Tell me, and I will go get it!" I said to her, but she shook her head in disagreement, scrutinizing me from head to toe.

"You can hardly stand firm and carry yourself. I know all over your body is in pain, even if you are pretending to be fine. How will I let you do it when you won't be swift enough? It's fine. You can go watch them from the window in the store room while I go get it." She winked, and I pecked her lips before speeding away.

I ran wildly to the storeroom and saw the dead bodies of those bodyguards who pounced on me back then on the stage. Is this how much this guy cares for me—to risk his life just to fight for me?

As I hurried to the open window and peered out, my blood ran cold, and fear crawled my skin as I saw the scene happening in front of my eyes.

Oh, no..